seventy seven

Elle McBriar
September 10th, 6 months and 60 days since the first zombie report

I woke up feeling replenished and well rested. I offered to drive today and Paxton said no at first, but then I convinced him that I was a good driver and that I wouldn't kill us! Then he said yes.

He had his eyes shut while I was changing in the car, mainly because he's tired. And because I don't want him to see the ugly scars I have on my body. They make me feel ugly.

I slipped on a lose long-sleeve black shirt and then a simple grey shirt over top. I paired with my leggings, obviously and then my shoes. Because, I have two outfits right now.

I honked the horn, earning two other honks for separate cars.

As I stepped out, I breathed in a breath of fresh air. It smelt... clean for once. Weird.

"I have a question for you." Megan said, barrelling up to me. "Goodmorning to you." I smile, she smiled back, "Right, goodmorning. I have a question." "I might have an answer, shoot."

Megan gripped my wrist and dragged me behind our car, "Can I ride with you for a few hours? I really need to talk to someone and I don't know Penny that well." She said. I smiled, "A therapist needing to talk to someone? Who woulda thunk. But of course you can. Paxton can ride with your baby daddy!"

We emerged ourselves back to the circle we formed last night, "Right ladies and gents, today is a long day, are we ready?" Gage announced, "This isn't a football game, Gage." Alex rolled his eyes, "Shut up man, I feel important." I giggled, "We'll just eat in the cars, yeah?" We all nodded, agreeing with what he said.

"Hey, is it cool if I drive with Megan for a few hours? She wants to talk to me about something and I feel bad and already kinda sorta told her yes." I pleaded, giving him the puppy dog eyes.

He frowned, "Fine. Only because I love you." I grinned, "Thank you."

I was about to jump into the drivers seat, when my hand was pinned behind my back, "Say it back." Paxton swore, a daring look in his eyes, "I love you, handsome." His boyish grin returned and I kissed him passionately for a few seconds, before I released him.

He groaned, "I'll see you soon." He hopped into Alex's car and I hopped into ours, smiling at Megan who was sitting in the passenger seat.

* * *

So far so good.

Megan and I were bonding. Talking about baby names and foods we do and don't like.

"I don't know. I'm just scared, I guess." Megan laughed nervously, "What if I fail, at being a Mom? I didn't have a Mom so I don't know what to do. What if Alex decides he doesn't want to be with me after we have this kid? There are so many things going through my mind right now I can't- I don't want to deal with them."

Megan always put up such a strong front, and I feel terrible that she feels this way. I want to hug her.

"Megan first off, you will be an excellent Mom. I've seen the way you handle Riley, you're amazing. He loves you, anyway! And second- don't even worry about Alex not loving you. You can tell that he loves you, have you seen the way that boy fusses over you." I laugh. Megan laughs too, and her features visibly relax.

"You're lucky though, you guys have your cluster of fights, Paxton and I have only ever had a serious fight. But all we do is bicker you know, have silly little arguments. Sometimes I feel like he'll fall out of love with me and I'll be left all alone." I sigh.

Megan nodded, "That's exactly how I feel. What if when I'm 8 months pregnant and Alex thinks I'm too fat and leaves? What will I do then?"

I chuckle, "You overthink too much. It's easy to lose pregnancy weight - especially with all of the running and fighting we do. And he won't leave. But, if the possibility comes that he does leave, you still have me. And Paxton, Gage and Penny."

"Thanks so much. You have no idea how much I appreciate you talking to me."

"Of course. It's the least I can do."

We sit in silence for a while. I'm focusing on the road, gushing about the cute baby names Megan has picked out. Sebastian or Oscar for a boy and Tessa or Becca for a girl.

"So tell me, how do you and Paxton keep the romance alive? I mean, you 2 are the cutest things ever!" I blush at her comment, "You really think so?"

"Oh honey of course! The way that boy looks at you is... it's like you're the only girl in the world. You can tell he loves you more than anything."

Megan's kind words almost make me cry.

"I hope so. Because no other girl is gonna get close to him. He's mine." I mock.

"Good on you. But seriously, you're his whole world." I paused, taking a deep breath, "He's mine too. I can't imagine my life without him in it." 

* * * 

We drove a quarter of the way until we stopped and got out. Paxton was whining to me about how all Alex talked about was Megan, and Alex was whining to Megan about how Paxton talks about is me.

We'd made it to Oklahoma, half way there. Another day or so and we'll be in Washington DC. 

Our next steps were to stop in Nashville, then Kentucky, then continue all the way too Virginia and then Washington. Hopefully it goes according to plan. We haven't had an mishaps so far, I plan to keep it that way.

"Guys, why don't we drive a little more into the town, find a grocery store and find non-perishables. We need food to last us a little more than a day. So we don't keep stopping. The boys and I will set up the fire and cooking, can the girls go find food?" 

I nodded my head, "I don't mind." Penny shrugged, "Sure." Megan nodded too, "I love food. And well- I'm eating for 2 now." She patted her tiny stomach, Alex gushed over his baby.

We drove a little way into the nearest Oklahoma town and parked the cars along the sidewalk. 

It felt weird, getting out of cars into a town we've never been too. I looked around. It was a western themed streets. Old bars, barbers and bakeries with old fashioned signs. It's truly magical. 

"Well, we're gonna head into the shop that says Ned's Shop, food, drink and all you can eat buffet." I skipped along into the shop, hearing a bell ring above the door.

Of course we still had to take precautions, which is why I have 2 guns currently strapped to me and a knife secured in bra. Penny has never shot a gun and Megan is too scared to kill anything. So, when we finally settle down, these girls have a lot of training to do.

"You heard the guys, no perishables. That means packets, cans and anything that has an expiry date of next year." I ordered, Penny laughed, "Why are you talking like a drill sergeant?" I shrugged, "It makes me feel in control." 

We headed off. I found a broken basket on the floor and hooked it into my arm crevice, letting it swing slightly. I heard music playing from another aisle and I cocked my head up.

"Sorry, singing birthday card." 

* * * 

hiii

how'd you like this chapter??

i know it's boring at the moment i'm sorrrrrry. but it gets better. I've got a few ideas on how this book ends and it's soon :(( i'm so upset!

but, like i did a few chapters ago, i'm going to skip to them arriving in washington so we don't have the boring road-trip dialogue and people just sitting there.