fifty

Elle McBriar
August 6th, 5 months and 27 days since the last zombie report

I am fuming!

To say I'm mad and upset is an understatement.

When I left Paxton standing in the middle of the street, I let myself cry. I don't know how long he was standing there or if he left immediately but I do know that he wasn't there when I turned back.

I was just walking around now. Throwing stones and sticks. I was sitting in the middle of the hot road, a trail of sweat down my forehead as I squinted my eyes.

Now would be a perfect time for a swim.

I'm sitting on the ledge of broken roof. My legs swinging off as I watch the empty horizon.

Picking up another stone, I threw it in front of me. Hearing it click before it skidded to a stop.

The trees that fell were now dried out and crusty. The old cars were rusting and filled with sand, bugs and other weird things. Los Angeles was beautiful. And still is, but it looks like a nuclear explosion hit it.

When people got infected, apparently an explosion went off, one of the power plants oxygen tanks blew up and caused a radiation wave so large, it shook the Earth like an earthquake and broke the city.

But I didn't feel an earthquake. I don't even care anymore. All I know is, we are the last living people on Earth. A the human race is gone forever.

And the guy I like acted like a complete dick.

The dried tears under my eyes was sticky every time I blinked. So I wiped it away and sniffed, hoisting myself up off the ground and heading back home.

Hopefully they don't notice I was gone. I don't want them to give me shit for being out by myself. I haven't seen or heard anything from zombies lately so maybe we did succeed in killing them. Don't speak too soon though.

Heading back down the path I originally came down, I turned the street and kept my eyes open. Just because we haven't had a threat to us for the past couple days, doesn't mean there won't be one.

I saw the house in my vision as I silently walked towards it. Complete silence coming from the house as I approach it.

But as I opened the front door, hearing light chatter made my heart squeeze. They're okay.

"Hey, where've you been? Paxton got home awhile ago." Alex smiled. I shrugged, "Around."

I opened the fridge, looking at the empty shelves, "Elle, you know we don't like you walking around alone." I Gage said. I closed the fridge, "I know Gage. I know! I'm sorry." I snapped, walking to my room empty handed.

I stayed in my bedroom for the rest of the day. Watching the sun set over the hills as I drew in my notebook. I need to get a new one.

Riley was in my room tonight. His cute face keeping me distracted yet occupied.

He giggled and slept, then cried and then laughed again!

I heard the guys talking, Paxton's voice making my heartstrings tug. How I longed for him to just come in and apologise. Kiss me and tell me everything's okay.

But he didn't. I smelt dinner, and heard Alex come and knock on the door. But I ignored him, continuing to play with Riley.

I heard him faintly sigh and the light footsteps from him receding down the hall as I breathed a sigh of relief.

I don't know why I'm so anxious. I just am. I feel tense all the time and I'm still extremely sore and fragile from the fire.

I've got bruises on my joints, tiny cuts and scratches in places I didn't even look. I'm just tired.

I haven't taken care of myself and I need too.

* * *

I've just been laying in bed, playing with Riley as he smiles at me. Big blue eyes gazing. He's on the bed, his tiny figure rolling around.

The door opened suddenly and I flinched, seeing from the corner of my eye as Paxton walked in, his eyes not making eye contact with me.

He pulls off his shirt, my eyes quickly glancing at the fading bruises on his back.

He leaves the room again, and I hear the faint sound of him brushing his teeth.

When he comes back in he pulls his hand through his hair, tugging at the ends. He takes his pants off and puts on some basketball shorts.

He wants to go to bed. And I don't blame it. It's almost midnight.

I get up, picking up an asleep Riley as I place him in his bed, locking the railing in place as I pull a thin blanket over his body.

Wrapping my arms around myself, I head to the door, "Where are you going?" Paxton asked me. That's the most he's said to me since our fight.

"The couch." I say bluntly, "Why?" He asked, I yawn, rubbing my eyes, "Because you're obviously mad at me and you need to rest. Your bruises aren't healed yet."

That's all I say before I grab a pillow and head into the living room/kitchen. At least in here I won't have to worry about accidentally waking him up when I snore.

I mean yeah it sucks, I've been kicked out of my bedroom. But its for the beat.

Everything is empty and the rooms are silent as the house settles to dust. Everyone is asleep, there's no sound.

It's nice to fall asleep too. The quietness. But it's also deafening when you've got so much on your mind and all you can hear is how loud your thoughts are.

I toss and turn on the couch, not finding a comfortable position. I just stay on my back and stare at the plain ceiling.

My eyes fall closed eventually. Dreaming of a world with peace and no zombies.

Wouldn't that be nice!

* * *

hi

first off, W O A H

thank you so so much for 1k reads, it means a lot that you all like my book :)