fifty two

Elle McBriar
August 7th, 5 months and 28 days since the last zombie report

I woke up in a cold sweat, seeing the morning sun shine through and give me a headache. I shot up, eyes wide as I breathed hard.

I haven't had a nightmare in weeks and now they're back? I squeezed my eyes shut, running my hands through my hair as I let out a frustrated cry.

I felt Paxton rub my back as he pulled me back down to him, snuggling closer to me so I was leaning on him, "What happened?" He said sleepily, "I was falling." I said quickly, "It was when Alex and I fell down the elevator shaft. But this time it was only me. I looked up a-and you and the others were staring at me, screaming at me to-" I wiped away my tears, "I didn't like it." 

Paxton's fingers were running through my hair as he kissed my forehead, "I'm sorry." He whispered, "It's traumatic. And I'm sorry I wasn't there to save you." I shivered, "When we got out and Gage said you weren't waking up I felt myself panic."

My heart sunk, "I did everything I could. And apparently it worked because here you are!" I smiled.

"Here we are. You saved us, again!"

* * * 

A little while later, Gage and Alex were gushing about how cute Paxton and I were. They kept saying 'cute' and 'gross' and were jealous about how they would never find love or ever have sex again. I scrunched my nose up, Paxton blocked my ears with his hands.

We were sitting outside on our plastic garden chairs were took from Walmart. It was pretty neat. 

I was sitting on Paxton's lap and he was stroking my thigh as I shielded my eyes from the sun, "I want a pool." Gage sighed, fanning himself, "Same." I whined, "I can agree to that. It's too hot!" Alex said, we awaited Paxton's answer and he just shrugged, "I don't care but good luck." 

I giggled as the excitement of getting a pool rose in my system. 

It was a chill day today. Nothing much happened except for the fact that Alex fell off the roof after I specifically told him to take it easy.

Everybody should be taking it easy. Not moving, not doing anything. We've all suffered huge injuries and sustained heaps of PSTD and trauma from it. They don't believe me right now but trust me, they'll start feeling it soon!

I was browsing through the fridge, frowning at the little amounts of food we have left, "Boys, we need to shopping!" I sigh, closing the fridge. I hear groans of frustration as I say that, "If you guys want to starve, by all means, be my guest. But I'm going." 

I know as soon as I say I'll be going alone, they'll all want to come so I just wait and...

"Okay, we're coming!" I smirked, I knew it, "Cool. Gage, you're driving." I smile. He glares at me and takes the keys, "You little sneak." 

I skip to the car, hopping in the backseat. Alex joins me in the back with Riley sitting on his lap. Paxton in the passenger seat next to Gage. I rolled the window down, feeling the hot breeze flow through my hair as I closed my eyes. Feeling the sun on my skin.

But it wasn't long until we were back where we started. Driving down the street where the university stood. Smoke and ash rising and falling in other parts. The entire building was black. Literal soot. 

I swallowed, feeling goose bumps rise, and not the good kind. I looked away, folding my hands into each other as I fiddled with them.

We arrived at a grocery store not long after, parking the car at the front of the store and hopping out. I saw Gage reach for his gun. I know longer fear the feeling of a gun between my fingers of the force of the bullets receding out of the barrel. This sounds terrible but I'm used to it.

I walked inside, seeing no carts or baskets inside. I shrug, I guess we'll have to carry everything by hand. "Okay you guys know the drill, basic stuff only. Bread, cheese, milk, veges, whatever you can carry!" I say.

I head off in the direction that leads me too essentials. And also chocolate because I'm about to get my period and I get the worst cravings ever! I slipped small packets of pain medication into my pockets, as well as vitamins, fruit snacks and some baby food.

I laughed at myself as I put a small box of 'make-it-your-self' dip between my bra. Good spot!

Walking between each aisle, I grazed over them quickly, seeing nothing of my liking. I turned a corner, feeling a hand take mine. I was suddenly yanked backwards and felt a hand over my mouth.

I looked up in a panic, seeing Paxton's smirking face. "You scared me you douche." I said, rolling my eyes, "Sorry." He shrugged, "What are you doing? Why don't you have food?" I asked, looking at his empty hands, "I do. It's in the car. We're waiting for you because you're taking too long." 

I shrugged, "Lets go then, we don't want to keep them waiting now do we." I began to walk away, but he pulled me again, but this time his lips were against mine, I didn't hesitate. I moaned into his mouth, gripping the back of his head as I pulled his head lower. 

His hands slid up my sides and I felt his fingers tickle the skin of my stomach, making me shiver, "Pax- w-we have to go." I whisper in between kisses, "Soon." He said, "They can wait." He panted, nipping my neck. My head rolled back as I closed my eyes, pure ecstasy and bliss.

Paxton connected to my lips again, biting on the bottom one as I smiled, "Stop it. We need to go."

I felt his hand go even higher as his eye contact remained the same. Then, I busted out laughing when Paxton pulled the packet of 'diy' dip from my bra. 

I wiped the tears from my eyes at his confused face, "Dip? Why dip? Why not, condoms?" He smirked, I pushed his face, "Because you already have some. I looked through your stuff." I shrugged, walking away. He looked annoyed, "And because I like dip." "Well I don't like dip." Paxton huffed, "That's too bad then isn't it?" 

I kissed him quickly one more time before heading to the car, sliding in the backseat next to Alex and Riley as Paxton angrily got into the passenger seat, "Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?" Gage teased, Paxton ignored us. 

* * * 

hi

i know this chapter is boring, i'm sorrrry
i wanted to cool down on the drama for a bit before it got really juicy

happy reading :)