thirty two

Elle McBriar
August 2nd, 4 months 21 days since the last zombie report

We knocked over a few zombies as the van rumbled to a stop in the driveway.

Forgetting everything, I grabbed a gun from the back seat and cracked the magazine, hearing it satisfyingly load. I switched off the safety and ran around to the backyard.

Much like the other day, I got flashbacks from when I was alone and fighting them on my own. But enough of the theatrics, I followed behind Paxton as we began shooting them. Alex and Gage were on the roof, shooting from high range. 

I was tempted to follow them, but they couldn't see the zombies that were emerging from the trees behind them.

"I thought these fucking ambushes would stop now that those dickheads were dead!" Alex screamed at us from the roof! "We thought so too!" I screamed back.

It was extremely hot today and if we keep at this like we are, we'll all suffer heatstroke!

But continuing on, "Where's Riley?" I called, "Inside your closet." I nodded. Good. He's safe.

Paxton told me to cover him so I did. But a zombie tripped me up, "Ew get off me your breath smells like fart." I gagged, shooting him in the head. He fell off me and I got up, dusting myself off, "Elle, COVER ME, NOW." Paxton yelled. I ran after him, shooting anything that he couldn't see. It's like they weren't stopping. Zombie after zombie after zombie.

"Where are the goddamn kill switches on these things?" Gage screamed out, firing more bullets. It smelt like gunpowder in the air, as did my lungs. I was sure they were purely black now. 

"Paxton where are you going?" I asked, running behind me, "Slow down. I'm short, I can't keep up." I panted, reluctantly, he slowed down, "Where are we going?" I ask, "We can see better from here." He shrugged, "That's it?" I said with a bored face, "Yes. Now are you going to stay here and not be seen?" 

"I'm going to get some grenades." I said casually, "No Elle-"

I didn't listen to his warnings. I kept the gun firmly in my grasp as I sneaked across the backyard, a few gunshots ringing in my ear. I ran into the house and into Paxton's room. Rifling through the weapons container, I pulled out two grenades. 

Already pulling one, I ran into the backyard, throwing it. It blew up all over the ground, parts of zombies flying everywhere. It left a huge hole in the dirt but that didn't matter.

"FIRE IN THE HOLE." I screamed so loud, pulling the metal that kept it together. I threw that over the van and off the driveway, hearing the sound of it blowing up. That should delay us a few zombies while we get our shit together.

* * * 

After many hours of fighting them off, the waves finally stopped. 

I was still hidden in the bushes with Paxton. I had a clear view of Alex and Gage on the roof and they could see us. We're still waiting for that little zombie to come out of nowhere and almost kill us. 

"I'm hungry." I whined, "And bored." I said again. Paxton scoffed, "Is there a time when you're not hungry or bored?" He asked, I pondered, "When I'm asleep. But even then, I'm hungry."

I decided on being bold and stepping out of the bushes. I waited in the middle of the yard for a couple of minutes. And when no zombies came, everyone else came out of hiding too.

"I've got to get Riley." Alex rushed out, running inside.

"I swear, they just kept coming. I didn't know what direction they were coming from but they were just straight shooting bro, heading straight for us." Gage said, wiping his brow with his sleeve.

It was only midday and I had worked up an appetite, "Who's making lunch?" I asked, glancing between the boy, "I think Gage should, when was the last time he cooked?" Paxton glared, I laughed, "Gage it is." 

As we headed inside, I went to my room, changing into some different clothes. A pair of black leggings and a grey zip-up hoodie. It's a little bit colder now and all I want to do for the rest of the day is relax.

Unfortunately, that dream was short lived when I heard shouting coming from the kitchen, "What the hell is going here?" I screamed, breaking them apart, "Gage doesn't know how to cook fucking pasta!" Paxton yelled, "I do know how to cook pasta, but you came in here acting all high and mighty, trying to take over." Gage argued back.

I looked at Alex, waiting for his contribution, "Gage used all the pasta and now it's burnt and crunchy." He said quickly, earning a slap from Gage, "He used the last bag of pasta!"

I slapped my hand against my forehead, "Boys." I sighed, grabbing the keys from the bench, "Wait where are you going?" Alex stopped me, "To go get more pasta." "I'm coming with you." He offered, "I'll be 10 minutes, tops."

* * * 

I couldn't be more wrong.

I was not 10 minutes, tops. 

I could not find a single packet of pasta in either of the two stores I went too. I checked every aisle, everything on the floor, shelves and even stuff under the shelves. There's nothing. 

As I exited the second grocery store on my way to the third, I heard a twig snap. I flinched, that's the exact same sound I heard before Tyler and Jared snatched Gage and I.

I whipped out my gun, pointing it in front of me as I spun around. I know I'm probably being paranoid but I'm scared. I probably shouldn't have come alone.

I holstered my gun again, feeling shivers go up my spine. I began walking faster. But as I reached the van, my hand was ripped from the handle. 

My arms were pulled behind my back, "NO, let go of me!" I cried, kicking my legs.
I saw an arm come around my face as a cloth was placed against my nose and mouth. I tried to hold my breath, and not breath any of it in but it was no use.

I blacked out.

* * * 

hii

oh shit. what has elle gotten herself into now??

happpppy reading :))