fifty three

Elle McBriar
August 8th, 5 months and 29 days since the last zombie report

I was sitting in the backyard on a plastic lawn chair reading my book.

I didn't hear the hum of an engine, the squeal of the brakes or the sound of glass breaking until it was too late. I struggled for a while until I fell unconscious.

The cloth they used over my mouth had a stench like chemicals. Bleach, probably.

I've been awake for about 5 minutes. And that's all I remember. 

I hear clanging noises, metal. My eyes are raw and red, dry. My mouth tastes like bleach and blood and I feel tired. What the hell is going on? Why does this always happen? Where am I?

"Hello?" I scream, hearing my voice echo and bounce off the walls.

Immediately, the door opened and woman walked in. She looked mid 20's maybe. Curly blonde hair, soft eyes, welcoming smile. She was wearing a black combat suit. Doc martins and had a gun strapped to her side. 

"Hello Elle." She said robotically, smiling at me. I looked away, feeling uncomfortable. She laughed, "How are you feeling?" "Like I got thrown from a moving vehicle." I coughed, feeling my chest constrict a wheeze coming out.

The lady came over to me helped me out of the chair I was tied too, "I'd like to welcome you to Delta Four." She said, "What the hell is Delta Four? Where are my friends?" I said, looking around in a panic, "Don't be alarmed, your friends are fine. They've been asking for you too." 

I narrowed my eyes, she tried to drag me but I pulled my arm away, "You're not taking me anywhere until you tell me what the hell is going on you psycho!" I say angrily, the woman doesn't flinch, or blink, "Elle, please remain calm and come with me. All will be answered in a short moment." 

I followed this woman in the Jackie Chan outfit down a bright hallway. Linoleum floors, boring walls, fluroscent lights. Reminds me of a hospital, "What is this place?" "A hospital." Oh, okay then.

"Why was I in the hospital?" She didn't say anything. Tough crowd.

After walking for what felt like ages, we finally stopped in front of a room. The lady turned the knob and ushered for me to go in, I sighed and headed inside, "Is this going to kill me? Because I'd rather it kill me than be something remotely interesting." 

The woman gave me a compromising smile, "I'm Elaine. Me and my coworkers have been watching you and your friends, Elle." Elaine said. I shook my head, "Excuse me? T-there's more of you? Like actual human people?" 

"Would you like some water? A cookie maybe, while I explain?"

I nodded my head to the water and she poured me a glass, gesturing for me to sit down on the single leather chair. She said on the couch in front of me, pulling up some sort of map.

"When the zombie's first attacked, my coworkers and I were here, underground-" "We're underground right now?" I said, she nodded, "Sick." "So we were safe. We run a witness protection program for those in need of it. Unfortunately, it was the kids day off. So no one came back to us." 

I felt sad that the kids who were under protection didn't have it when they needed it.

"But we've been here for nearly 6 months. Watching you. We first heard of a group of teenagers who blew up the University. And then we set eyes on you. We realised you came from New York, and there's 5 of you. 3 teenage boys, 1 baby, and you."

I nodded, "Okay but that doesn't explain why I'm here? Or w-where my friends are?" 

Elaine nodded, "You're here because the University you blew up did in fact rid the Earth of zombies. But it caused a mass nuclear explosion to leak all over the air. And in a matter of weeks, you all would've been dead." 

My mouth was agape, "So you're telling me, you kidnapped us to keep us safe from the radiation we caused?" I asked her, Elaine smiled and nodded, "We are what is left of the Earths population. We've scanned all of America and the only people alive, is the 17 people in this bunker." 

Her words shook me to my core. 17 people. That's it. The only humans left of the human race. 

"I know you're confused, and I am happy to answer any questions you have." She smiled.

I looked her up and down, admiring her clothing, "Where can I get some of those killer boots?" I smirked, Elaine laughed, "Unfortunately, the boots are part of my job. Because I worked for the government in protecting the kids I used to have, the guns and whole spy get up came with it." She said, "Well, you look good." I smiled, feeling my eyes droop lowly.

It was quiet for a bit before Elaine spoke, "I suppose you'd like to see your friends? It has been 2 days after all." She said, "I was asleep for 2 days?" I said, "You were asleep for a day and half, as well as your other friends. You guys seriously need to take care of yourselves. But I do applaud your nursing skills." 

Elaine pushed me through another door. Where I heard talking on the other side. I was curious when she opened the door. But I felt relief wash over me as I saw the boys. There backs were too me as and I couldn't help but smile.

"Long time no see." I said sarcastically, causing the boys to turn around. Paxton's eyes widened as he scooped me up in his arms, hugging me so tight. I hugged him back, never wanting to let him go. "I was so worried I'd never see you again." He whispered into my hair, "I woke up and you weren't there." I sighed.

I pulled away from him and hugged the others, stroking Riley's head.

"Have you been told why we're here?" Paxton asked, I smiled and nodded to Elaine, "Elaine explained to me. It makes sense. We're dumb and reckless." I shrugged, "That you are. But you are all lucky that we were able to get to you in time." 

Elaine's face changed for a split second, "What do you mean?" 

"Well, my crew were supposed to rescue you, 4 days after the fire. After the radiation scans came in positive. But so many things went wrong and then it was too dangerous. With the injuries you all sustained and the way that it worked- but I'm glad we got to you when we did."

I hugged Paxton's side, ready to fall asleep again. I could still taste the bleach on my tongue.

"Lets go meet everyone shall we?" Elaine smiled.

* * * 

heyoo

sooo, what do you think??