fourty eight

Elle McBriar
August 6th, 5 months and 27 days after the first zombie report

I woke up in pain. More pain than I'd like to admit. I had a cramp in my neck from straining it at one angle the whole night.

Although, I didn't wake up alone today, which is a nice surprise.

Paxton was still fast asleep. I smiled, he's such a peaceful sleeper. Beautiful.

He is beautiful.

I tried to remove myself from under him, slowly sliding out from under him.

His naked back tensed as he lay flat on the mattress, head on the pillow.

I wrapped my arms around myself, feeling the cold deep in my bones as a quiet wind whipped through.

I heard clattering in the kitchen and went to check it out. Alex was awake, looking as tired as ever. But a very energetic Riley was bouncing in his high chair.

"I'm mad." Alex said, when he noticed my presence. I yawned, sitting down, "Why's that?" "Because we'll never be able to own a pet again." He frowned, scooping baby food onto a spoon.

I smiled, "True. I guess there's no point in teaching Riley about animals then huh?"

Alex smiled at my joke and proceeded to feed Riley. Although the pained expression on his face told me name otherwise. He winced when his lifted up the spoon, a frown on his features.

"Here, let me do it." I offered, "No I got this." Alex said, "Alex, you're in pain. Go back to bed, rest. Please."

He frowned, "You're in pain too you know, we can all see it." I rolled my eyes, "I don't care. Now shoo, leave me and my baby alone." I smirk, "You mean my baby?"

"Eh." Alex thanks me and exits the room, leaving me alone with Riley, "Open wide." I said in a baby voice, mimicking opening my mouth.

I pushed the spoon into Riley's mouth, a happy smile displayed on his face.

I finished up feeding Riley, washing my hands under the sink as I thought ablut breakfast.

Is this routine now? I'll feed Riley, cook, clean and look after them?

I have no problem with it, I'm just thinking. Routine... feels normal.

* * *

Gage and Alex were lounging outside, comparing 'battle wounds' which they're now calling scars.

I told them to get working on the roof as soon as possible and they said they're getting there. Although I've been watching them and they haven't moved.

Paxton came out, kissing my forehead before heading outside.

I sat inside at the table, bouncing Riley on my knee as he looked around aimlessly.

It's come to my attention that Paxton and I haven't established... what we are. I know we've kissed and slept together in the same bed. And we obviously have feelings for each other but, I don't know what we are or where we stand.

I care for him, very much. But does he feel the same way I do. I'm conflicted.

My knee starts to ache so I pick up Riley, letting him roam around outside as I watch him silently.

The boys are talking about some video game they wish they could play. I wish accessing wifi was easy, but cell towers are out, power line poles are crushed. We're never going to have wifi again.

Which means no TV, no phone, etc.

"You guys could read books. Or magazines, you could even write a journal. Or plays cards, there is so much to do that isn't technology." I smiled, running a hand through my hair.

"Reading and writing are boring." Gage frowned, "Yeah, and playing cards gets really boring after a while." Alex added on.

I shrugged, "I'm just giving you guys ideas. You tell me that you're bored and I mean... it's not like we can rebuild the entire city, right?" I joked.

But the boys have each other a look, "I know that look."

They smirked. And I know exactly what they're thinking, "Absolutely not." I said sternly, "Why not Elle? It'll keep us occupied?"

I scoffed, "We don't have the materials or tools to rebuild an entire city! We don't know how to lay down power lines under the ground, or get wifi working. Do any of you have experience in building and maintenance?"

They look confused, "I didn't think so. You all major in science and medicine." I smirk, "Nerds." I mumble under my breath.

Gage looks offended, "Elle. Think about it. If we rebuild the city. Even half the city, it'll keep us occupied, we'll have somewhere to go if we're bored, Riley can grow up here. Please, think about it."

Why are they giving me permission? I'm not in charge of them.

"Look, I care about you guys, okay? You're my family now. I can't stop you from the rebuilding the city- but I want you to be careful, okay? Don't touch things that look, dangerous of flammable or anything."

They first bump each other, giving me a hug as they head inside. I sigh, picking up Riley as we head back inside.

* * *

Midday time rolled around and I decided to make a schedule. I needed paper and pens. A roster.

I wrote Monday through Sunday and write our names evenly on things like, shopping, cooking, dishes etc.

If you cooked breakfast, you also do lunch and dinner, but someone else will do dishes. I also made a note to get alarm clocks, afreezer and magnets.

If we're going to have power again, we're going to need to store food.

"Are you still wanting to make a garden Elle?" Alex asks, eyeballing my roster, "Yeah, but maybe not through winter. Spring, maybe." I smiled.

He nodded.

I haven't really talked to Alex about the whole 'falling-from-an-elevator-thing' since we survived it. It's traumatic and frankly, I don't want to relive it.

I drank some water, feeling the burn as I swallowed it. After inhaling all that smoke, I've found it hard to eat and drink, swallowing is the worst. It's like a scratching feeling on my skin.

Heading to my room, I lay down on the bed. Sighing as I feel tired all of sudden. I got a good nights sleep last night I don't know why I feel so tired.

I closed my eyes for a split second. But they flew open a few moments later because I couldn't stop thinking about the fire. It was burned in my mind.

Every time I closed my eyes, I saw the fire burning in front of me. Stinging my hair and melting my skin. I felt dirty.

I don't like the feeling.

Today was a lazy day though. I can hear the guys banging on the roof, their grunts of pain making me flinch.

But the excitement was shared once they got the lights working and the solar panels were angled in the right direction.

We're making progress.

* * *

heyy

this is just a filler chapter :))

i'm debating whether to add some spice or leave it as is for now. we'll see.