twenty six

Elle McBriar
August 1st, 4 months and 20 days after the first zombie report

I debated knocking on his door, because he'd probably be asleep.

Riley was dead asleep in my arms and I hope he stayed that way. I would've brought his baby carrier with me but it's too chunky and I didn't want him sleeping on the floor.

I was about to turn back but the hallway was dark so I stood grounded in my place.

Is it silly of me to be lurking outside his door? I can't sleep, and I sleep so well with him next to me. But I don't want to wake him up. Nor do I want him to be grumpy with me.

What if he tells me to go back to my own room? I'm so stupid, why did I even do this.

But I was still conflicted. I put my hand to his doorknob, twisting the circular metal knob and slowly pushing it open. Thankfully, it didn't squeak and was fully silent.

I closed the door and crept over to his bed. I could make out the outline of his body. The sheet pooled around his hips as he lay flat on his back. One arm under his head as the other hung off the bed. How does someone look so graceful sleeping.

Nonetheless, I sat on the edge of his bed, slowly lowering myself next to him.

He stirred in his sleep as I was afraid he was going to wake up. I put Riley next to me, in the middle of us, his little head laying flat on the mattress.

At least both of them are getting good sleep. That's all that mattered. 

Although, I felt calmer now. Knowing that Tyler and Jared can't get to me. My heart rate went down.

"Elle? What are you doing in here?" Paxton's groggy voice said, "I-I couldn't sleep. I got scared and I-"
"It's okay. Just go to sleep." He whispered. He stretched his arm over my waist, pulling me closer, "You brought the baby?" He groaned, "I couldn't leave him in there by himself." I exclaimed, "Whatever. Just sleep, you need it."

He's right, I did need it. And I slept really well.

* * * 

But by the time the sun was up, I was already out and dressed. 

I left a note for the boys,

morning,

i took the van, hope you don't mind.
i'm heading into brickwood to grab supplies. solar panels, food, baby stuff etc,

breakfast is under a towel on the table. i'll be back in the afternoon.

yes, i have my radio. yes, i have a gun and extra bullets.

elle 

The sun wasn't as hot today, which I was grateful for. I dressed in a zip-up hoodie, tank top and black leggings. Even in Summer, the wind can still get you.

I was excited, a day where I didn't have to sit inside all day doing nothing. I know the boys will be mad but I can deal with them. Speak of the devil, as soon as I turned on to the highway into Brickwood, my radio crackled.

"Hello?" I said, steering with one hand, "Why the hell are you out there alone? We told you to always have one of us with you at all times, Elle." Paxton said angrily, "Relax Paxton, I'm in Brickwood now. I just needed time to myself you know." 

I heard him sigh, "Look, you're breaking up. And I can't call and drive, it's against the law."

I pressed the 'end call' button and passed the 'Welcome to Brickwood' sign. I always hated that sign. It's ugly and old and reminds people that they're entering the most boring town on the planet.