fourty two

Elle McBriar
August 5th, 5 months and 25 days since the last zombie report

I never thought I'd see the day we actually got Los Angeles.

I've never been here so it's just as exciting. Although, the happiness faded as I saw what once was beautiful Los Angeles. From the pictures I've seen online and in movies, this is totally different. Of course it would deserted and broken but I never expected a  graveyard...

It shook my to my core as we drove through the mangy streets of Los Angeles. Spying the hills and the burnt trees, seeing traffic lights that no longer work. It's a ghost town.

And it's scary, to be completely honest.

We located the uni, driving there with as much determination, anxiety and hesitance as we can handle. I know Paxton is scared. He's had his thinking look on the whole drive. And every time I bring up the end of the world, or dying, he holds my hands.

Which comforts us both and I'm grateful for it.

As we passed the towers and buildings, seeing random bits of smoke and dust fly out as our cars rush past. We see the sign. I hold my breath, shaking.

'University of California, 200m'

This is really it. Is this actually happening?

We radio and the guys call back, telling us to park in front of the school. So we do, before I can get out Paxton takes my hand, "Are you ready for this?" He says, I shake my head, "I don't know. But we have to be ready, whatever is in there, Paxton, we have to do whatever we can." 

I bit my lip to stop myself from crying.

We got out, locking the doors. "What are we supposed to do with Riley, we can't keep him in the car? Who knows how long this will take." Alex said, "Well we can't bring him inside, can we?" Gage argued, "Fine, you better hope when he wakes up he just sits there and doesn't cry." 

I take a few steps forward, wanting to get this over and done with. The gravel under my shoes crunch with every step, anticipating my moves. I feel shivers crawl up my spine as I walk up the 6 steps into the main university building. The doors are open, broken off their hinges.

The inside is dark, full of cobwebs and starky. Covering my mouth and nose with my hand, I walk inside, hearing the others follow after me. Small volts of electricity still burst through the ceiling and little sparks crackle in front of me.

I watch my feet, not wanting to step on anything that could explode.

"Well we know that something is built and working here otherwise these electricity cables wouldn't be sparking." Gage exclaimed, pointing to the roof.

We nodded, "Look, why don't split up. Explore the campus until we find Tyler and Jared's room. They were roomates, right? So just radio if you find it." Alex asked.

Paxton came with me and Gage and Alex went off in the other direction.
Without wasting any time, we searched every single room. The kitchens, common rooms, the teachers dorms, everything. Just in case.

We were outside checking the student dorms when, "Uh we found it guys. But you might want too hurry. West dorm, room 46B." 

Paxton and I glanced at each other before we took of running, panting and catching our breaths as we see an open door.

You know when something is so confusing or weird to the untrained eye? Like a magic trick or optical illusion, you know, something you can't quite figure out? That is what we felt like when we got to their dorm room.