Chapter 4

Madison has deeply hated Mason Wood for years- to be more specific, ever since 4th grade. In 4th grade, he used to always pull at her pigtails for months straight until she stopped wearing them. In 6th grade, he accidentally cut off half of her ponytail for a 'prank'. He ended up giving it to his friend, who had a crush on her. I remember her being so upset after that happened. Madison used to be a fan of graphic pants or anything that wasn't the standard jeans, and in 9th grade, Mason would always make fun of her pants, cheat on her test, and then tell the teacher she was the one cheating. He was always a massive asshole. Madison was just one of his victims. He stopped once he had to take responsibility and become the Alpha of the Red Moon pack at the end of last year. I would be lying if I said Mason didn't piss me off or that I didn't know his reputation as the player. I've had my fair share of annoying encounters with him. He's always made Madison's blood boil, and I bet she's about to blow right now. Once she heard the words "he's my mate" spew from my mouth, I expected her to be angry and yelling. Her response wasn't what I was expecting at all.

Instead of blowing up and making everyone in the club uncomfortable or intrigued with her anger, she bursts out in a fit of laughter. Her laugh is hysterical, and she ends up wrapping her arms around her stomach as if the laughs were hurting. "Okay, that was good. You've got me." She rolls her eyes, not believing us. Her reaction startles me, and I am stuck between my best friend, who is still staring at us, and Mason, who is shifting in his spot, staring between both Madison and me.

Why would we lie? No, why would I lie, especially about something like this? Does she not see the way his gaze hasn't moved from me? Has she not noticed my uneven breathing or the dangerous look of lust in his dark grey eyes? This moment feels like something you would see in the movies; for some reason, this is how my life is playing out. Right now, I wish I would've just stayed in bed, but I know finding out about Mason would've been inevitable.

"I'm not lying, Madison. As much as I wish I was, it's true." I take a deep breath before continuing my statement. "Mason is my mate." I state, feeling a little bit of anger and embarrassment rise to the surface. I feel my brows draw extremely close as I furrow my eyebrows and mentally thank the club owner because the lights were so dim that she couldn't see my flushed cheeks. Many emotions rush over me, and I'm so stressed I feel like I might cry. Why couldn't it be Evan, who I was destined to be with? Hell, why couldn't it be anyone else? Because this will be so complicated, and I don't know what will happen after tonight.

The severe tone of my voice makes her stop laughing. Madison keeps moving her gaze back and forth between Mason and me, but soon the gaze turns into a glare. "No," She shakes her head frantically, "No. No. No. This can't be right. There has to be something wrong. Maybe you just think what happened means you're mates, or you've had a little too much to drink. Maybe you're just having too much fun and want to have a good time and get lucky. There is no way in hell that this dumbass is your mate. He's the alpha of our pack's enemy, for fuck sake!" She turns to me with a firm grab on my upper arms. "Allison, you have to be drunk. You're mentally impaired, and there's no way you can find your mate like this." She glances back at Mason with a look of disgust on her face.

She's wrong; I'm not drunk. I haven't had that much to drink. After I locked eyes with Mason, the feeling I got when he looked at me was indescribable. Everything I heard was true. When you find your mate, time feels like it stops, and everything around you becomes faint. When you find your mate, you'll know. Their scent will fill your senses, and that will be the only thing you can focus on. Your heart will start racing so fast, and you'll be mesmerized when you look into their eyes. The feeling is almost instant, and it's a feeling not like anything that has been experienced before.

He takes a step forward, smirking. "Face it, fatty Mattie. We're mates." Fatty Mattie is a nickname Madison was given in middle school by a group of girls that were the worst human beings. Madison wasn't big, but those girls wanted to hurt her. I've been a target to those mean girls, but not as much as Madison was. Mason figured it would get on her nerves, but it didn't. During high school, Madison slimmed down a ton, and that nickname doesn't apply to her anymore, and she knows it. Madison frowns at the realization and rubs her temples. She steps closer to him with a fire blazing in her eyes.