Chapter 8

"Mason," I mutter, heart still racing. This is a situation I've never imagined, especially not with him. He makes my breath hitch, my heart beat uncontrollably when he touches me, his scent makes me go wild, and he makes me feel an indescribable feeling of lust. I haven't felt this way since Evan. I don't know how Mason makes me feel this way, but this is how I felt with Evan. Somehow, this connection feels stronger, even though we haven't spent much time together. "I-"

"What is going on?" Dread runs down my spine as I hear Justin's voice looming behind me.

Immediately, I unwrap my legs from his waist and press my back against the tree, trying to put as much distance between Mason and I. Madison is standing a few feet away from the tree I am leaning against. Then, I make eye contact with my furious brother, who stands directly behind her. Their hair is messy, and I can't tell if they shifted or just ran here. Justin's jaw is clenched, his breathing is erratic, and he has a vein popping out of his neck, which usually happens when he is seething. His eyebrows are furrowed so much that they nearly touch his eyes as he keeps glancing between Mason and me, his eyes lingering a bit longer on Mason. This side of Justin terrifies me because he usually can keep his emotions in. Still, Mason Wood is the last person Justin wants to see me with, and I don't know if he'll ever accept us. Ever since Mason stole Justin's girlfriend last year, whom he loved so much that he would call her the love of his life, Justin has loathed Mason. Even though they weren't mates, Justin felt for her as if they were fated to be together. She was his first love, and the heartbreak is why my brother hasn't committed to anyone to this day. Mason managed to charm her enough to take her away from Justin, and I really don't want to know how he did it. But it left Justin heartbroken for a long time and with a newfound hatred for the Red Moon Pack. Now, I am fated to be with the person that hurt my brother. Mason slowly turns to face two people from the pack who hate him.

"What is going on?" Justin hisses through his teeth, venom lacing his words. His eyes won't stray from Mason; it's as if I'm not even here.

"Um," I whisper, trying to find the right words, but they won't come. I've already dealt with a lot of family drama today, and I don't want to deal with it anymore. "I—" I'm sorry, Justin, but Mason is my mate, and this is happening for a reason. I want to scream this to Justin, but the words won't come out. Instead, I'm standing with my words caught in my throat.

"My bad," Mason looks over at me and grabs my hand with a faint, smug expression on his lips. I watch as he winks at Justin, knowing this will agitate him even more, "I came to see my mate without telling you. I didn't know I needed permission to see her, but it's not my fault she looks so damn good." He turns towards me, roaming his eyes up and down my body as he subtly bites his lip. I know Mason is doing this to piss Justin off, and it makes me realize he may be a little toxic.

My cheeks heat up, and I pull my hand away, glancing at my brother, trying to read his facial expression. Justin completely loses it and closes the space between them with three giant steps. Once he's right in front of Mason, he gives us no time to comprehend what's about to happen before he punches Mason square in the jaw. Mason stumbles back from the blow and immediately grabs his jaw, groaning in pain. Everything happened so fast that all I could do was just stand still, shocked.

"What the hell was that for?" Mason growls, spitting a small amount of blood onto the dirt in front of him.

Justin gets in his face and spits, "Keep your grimy hands off my sister, Wood. I'm not letting you fuck her over and treat her as a conquest." Madison is just standing behind Justin, wide-eyed and as shocked as I am. Both guys are standing inches apart, glaring at each other with furious expressions. Without thinking, I quickly stand between them and slowly move Mason's hand from his face. I gently touch the growing red spot forming on the right side of his cheek, right next to his lips. The spot is sore, which causes him to hiss at my touch, and I immediately retract my hand.