Chapter 13

I just stand staring at Mason, feeling intense emotions and processing what he just said. While a small part of me wants to do it and start this big adventure with him, the big part of me knows I'm not ready. I feel my mind reeling just thinking about everything. "Mason," I pause, exasperated and trying to find the right words, "I don't think I'm ready for this quite yet. This is a huge thing, I mean, it's no joke."

Mason's grin falls as he examines my expression. "I know it's a big step, but this will happen eventually. I know I don't need to remind you, but we're mates. I know you feel this connection, too." He cups my face in his hands and puts his face closer to mine. "I want you to live with me, but I'll give you some time and let you process this." His lips gently press against my forehead before he lets go of my face and walks away.

I'm left standing in the nearly empty hall, mouth open and stunned at what happened. I don't know what I expected, but it was definitely not this. As I'm trying to gather my thoughts, the bell rings overhead. "Shit," I mutter under my breath, starting to speed walk in the direction of Mrs. Woodhams class.

"You're late, Ms. Dawson." Mrs. Woodham announces, not looking away from the board.

"Sorry, Mrs. Woodham," I mumble the apology, taking a seat in front of Catie. I open my textbook to the correct page and flip through my notebook until I find an empty page. My mind wanders as Mrs. Woodham starts reviewing what she's written on the whiteboard and begins the lesson. I playback our conversation in the hallway, and uneasiness washes over me. He just sprung this on me, and I don't know what I am going to do. There is so much that could happen. There's a chance neither of us will be good for each other. I don't know what will happen in the future, but if I don't try, then I'll never know. This could be the best thing or the worst thing.

The thought of us moving in together makes my heart race. This would be one of the most significant decisions I would have to make, and if I go through it, I know my family won't agree. My family is important to me, and I'm worried that I will have to choose between them or my mate. If Mason and I develop a deep connection and end up together, I don't know if my family will ever support it. The bell ringing snaps me out of my head, signaling it's time for lunch. The class went by quickly, mainly because I was mostly stuck with my thoughts. I grab my notebook and pens before getting up, thinking about how I'll have to catch up with someone to grab the notes I missed in a little while.

As I'm walking towards my locker, I go back to thinking about everything. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea if I just visited his pack house. It's not like I'll have to move in immediately; I can just see how it's set up and how Mason and I act with each other when we're trying to figure things out. Sighing, I absentmindedly put everything in my locker and head towards the lunch room, meeting with Madison and James. We walk through the line, chatting and grabbing our plates.

I zone out, trailing behind a laughing James and a giggling Madison. I sit in the middle of them with Madison on my left and James on my right. They talk to each other as if I'm not there, and I immerse myself in my thoughts. This has been weighing on my mind the moment he brought it up. It's going to happen sooner or later; making the trip to see his pack house won't hurt anything. I just have to clarify that I'm not moving in with him yet. I mean, it would be cool to see what his pack house is like and to see everyone who lives there. Plus, this will allow Mason and I to actually talk things out and figure out what a future between us will look like.

"What about you, Al?" James asks with a mouthful of chicken, breaking me out of my thoughts. I didn't listen to their conversation at all, so I have no clue what he's asking me.

"Huh?" I reply, confusion covering my face. I bite my food, waiting for him to explain what he's asking.

"James asked where his 18th birthday should be. Of course, I suggested the clubs, and now we need your opinion." Madison explains, resting her chin on her hand.