Chapter 10

Masons POV

I lean against my locker with my beta, Jeff, standing beside me as I scan the halls, watching everyone's movements. My eyes land on Allie, and I notice she's conversing with someone. I can't see who it is because her back is turned towards me, but the most noticeable feature is her red hair. Allison and her friend walk down the hall until they stop at their lockers. I watch Allison grab some textbooks from her locker, watching her body and face move gracefully. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice a couple of guys standing against a wall next to the locker, gazing at her. Something about how they're looking at her makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Standing up straighter, I observe the guy's actions. They're talking to each other as their heads keep moving back and forth in Allison's direction. Maybe they aren't looking at her, but when the people near her walk away and the guys keep looking in her path, I know I am right.

I watch the guys laugh as they talk, and one of them, wearing a gray hat with lettering, starts walking toward Allison. I feel anger wash over me, observing him stride over to her. She turns to look at him, makes eye contact with me quickly, and then turns her attention to her friend. The guy with the hat stops right next to her, and I can tell he talks to her because she turns to face him. Her textbooks are pressed against her chest as she responds to him. I stare straight at him as he places his hand on the locker beside hers. He starts trying to engage in a conversation with her, and with the way she's playing with her hair, it looks like she's uncomfortable. Feeling jealousy stir in my body, I can't take anymore and start walking towards them. Neither of them notices me, and I take the opportunity to slip my arm around Allie's waist. The guy gapes at me and brings his arm down to his side, and I stare back at him. Allison looks up at me with a stunned expression. "What's going on here?" I question.

He chuckles and responds, "Nothing, man. We were just chatting." He shrugs, and I give him a nod. He stays standing there, glancing down at my arm around her waist before shooting Allison a small smile and walking away. He has less confidence in his stride as he returns to his friend. I make eye contact with his friend, and he looks down, scratching the back of his neck. When the guy with the hat makes it over to his buddy, they immediately start walking away without glancing back.

I notice Allison's friend staring back and forth from me to my arm with a dumbfounded expression. Glancing down at Allie, a noticeable blush covers the tip of her nose and cheeks. She's giving me a shy and nervous smile, and I can't help but smile back at her. Everything about her is so attractive. I move my arm from her waist and lean against the locker next to hers. She turns to look at me, and I watch as her tongue grazes her bottom lip. I can't help but stare; she's so beautiful. I've always noticed her in the halls and thought she was attractive, but that night at the club made me understand the attraction even more. I also can't help but think about how she looked in that dress.

I start thinking back to when we were younger and how she still looks the same, more mature. Thinking back to when we were about 11 years old, I think about how we used to have a couple of classes together. I used to have a crush on her back then, but then again, I also had crushes on other girls. 11-year-old Mason was definitely girl crazy. It's wild to think about all of that and then everything that's happening now. I was shy back then; I didn't grow out of it until I was about 15. I never talked to her because I never knew what to say. I remember how, after my crush on Allie went away, I took about a month to move on to Vanessa Ols.

Snapping out of my thoughts, I focus back on Allie. The halls are almost empty, with only a handful of people: Allie, her friend, and me. "Well, that was awkward," I smirk, trying to joke about the situation. Allison giggles at my comment, and her friend shoots me a dark glare. "What's your name?" I turn, asking her friend. I've seen her around, but I've never actually met her.