15

BLOODLINES
—15. Loyalty

 Loyalty

  In a hidden place in the courtyard, Kathy walked up to Charlie, who was waiting for her in the stables. She smiled as she walked up to him and Charlie slowly turned to face her, smiling as well.

"You came. There's something I wanted to tell you—" Charlie began to say, only to be cut off by Kathy.

"Wait," She quickly stated, grabbing ahold of his hand, "There's something I'd like to say first."

"Go on," Charlie encouraged her, smiling down at her.

"I love you," Kathy confessed and it was the first time she had said it, causing Charlie's eyes to widen in shock, "I love you, Charlie. And I have for a while, I just didn't how to say it."

"I love you, too," Charlie replied calmly and Kathy smiled.

"I know," She responded, causing them both to quietly laugh, "You've only said it a thousand times."

"Come on, don't go ruining the moment now," Charlie jokingly complained, grabbing Kathy by the arm before pulling her closer to him.

Kathy smiled up at him lovingly, wasting no time with pressing her lips to his.

____

On the walls of Westminster Palace, Marie walked up to Joanna, who was standing alone, trying to cool off after what happened at supper.

"You didn't come to mass," Marie spoke up calmly as she stopped in front of Joanna, "Your sister Catherine was hoping to find some comfort with you, I'm told."

Joanna smiled in amusement, shaking her head as she heard Marie's comment. "There is nobody to pray to," She told Marie, slowly turning to face her, "Or else He isn't listening."

"Everyone has their own opinion," Marie replied as she shrugged her shoulders.

"Do you believe in Him? In God?" Joanna asked, a curious look on her face.

"I don't know what I believe in," Marie confessed in a whisper, "I know I'm expected to believe in God, but in all honesty, I don't know if I do. If there is a God why would he let all these good people die? People like Nora, the woman who was like a mother to me? Why would He kill all her children when she never did anything wrong to be punished by Him?"

"Then, don't believe in him, easy as that," Joanna suggested as she moved closer to Marie, "If there was a God, the villains wouldn't be the ones always winning in the end."

Marie remained silent, trying to hide her uneasiness. "Joanna, I wanted to say sorry on behalf of my brother—" She began to say, only to be cut off by Joanna.