31

BLOODLINES
— 31. Defiance

   In their chambers, Marie smiled as she sat with her son and daughter on the bed while her husband stood before them, telling the child a dramatic story that was entirely made up

   In their chambers, Marie smiled as she sat with her son and daughter on the bed while her husband stood before them, telling the child a dramatic story that was entirely made up. Nora was nearly was year old now and Edward was already four years old.

"As the bear strode toward Ylva, who was fifteen at the time, she lifted her sword high in preparation to slay the beast. The monstrous beast slashed at her, leaving a scar on her back she bore her entire life. With one swipe, he had knocked her to the ground, and thinking a girl of her small stature would die of her wounds, the bear prepared to retreat. However, as he went to move away, Ylva jumped up," He ranted, grabbing ahold of Edward before he picked him up and raised him in the air, "She grabbed onto the bear from the back and stabbed him in the eye with the dagger she had hidden in her boot. The bear roared loudly and she picked up her sword and stabbed him again. The bear's wounded body headed straight to the ground and Ylva rolled out of the way just in time not to be squished by the large beast. Within moments, the life drained from the bear's eyes, leaving the young Earl victorious. That night, she returned home from the mountains, wearing the bear's fur as a coat. The people of Ashton cheered as the girl returned from the several months she spent in Norway's mountain and her slaying of the beast became yet another accomplishment she became known for."

"That is quite the colorful story," Marie commented, smiling up at her husband, who placed their giggling son down on the ground, "But you and I both know it is not real."

"Perhaps it is, perhaps isn't. The world may never know," Edward responded and sat beside Marie. He kissed her on the cheek and brought Nora into his lap while Edward was quick to climb into his mother's.

"Kathy is not reacting lightly to Mary's betrothal to King Louis," Marie confessed, an uneasy look on her face, "She is bound to do something that will leave us all speechless."

"Well, that is Kathy for you," Edward commented, a smile on his face.

"You admire her," Marie replied and Edward turned to her.

"Who wouldn't?" Edward responded as he gave her a curious look, "When her father died, she wanted nothing more than to curl up into a ball and cry, to give up entirely. She didn't, though. She stood up to her grandmother and protected us nobles from ending up just like Edmund Dudley. She promised us she would protect us and she did. She's also the only one who can stand up to the king and show no fear. In a way, I believe he is afraid of her," He explained to her in a calm tone, "She is well respected in England and loved by the people, far more than even her mother. She made a name for herself that doesn't revolve around being the daughter of King Henry VII and Queen Lizbeth of York."

"She is not who she used to be, though," Marie confessed, letting out a large sigh, "I don't know her anymore."

"My love..." Edward trailed off and wrapped an arm around Marie, "I don't even think Kathy knows herself anymore."