32

BLOODLINES
— 32. Drunken Mistakes

It wasn't long before they arrived at King Louis' Palace

It wasn't long before they arrived at King Louis' Palace. He stood there, awaiting his future wife's arrival. "He is not as old as I thought he would be," Kathy commented as she began to walk with Mary and Catherine toward where Henry was waiting for them, "I thought he'd be crab-legged and unable to walk without a cane."

"He still looks as though he's five hundred years of age," Mary replied in a calm tone, "I am glad to not be marrying him."

Kathy turned, shooting Mary a glare. "You should be glad. I just saved you from losing your maidenhood to a man like that," She commented and Mary smiled in amusement.

"I suppose you'll now have someone to compare Charlie to," She remarked and Kathy sighed, gradually beginning to smile at Mary's horrible joke.

"No one can compare to Charlie," Kathy replied  softly as she looked down at the ground in disappointment while Mary felt sympathetic.

"You have steel in your bones, Kathy. You are the strongest person I know. If anyone can do this, it's you," Catherine assured her and Kathy smiled in response.

"You needn't worry, Catherine. He is old. I need only tire him out and I will be able to go home," She confessed and Catherine turned to her in concern.

"Tire him out in what way?" She asked in concern and Kathy laughed as she continued to walk forward.

She walked toward Henry, who smiled as he grabbed her hand before leading her over to Henry. "I present to you, Princess Katherine of England. May your marriage yield a union that is peaceful and powerful between our two great nations."

At once, Kathy and Henry arrived along with the rest of the English court who had joined them in France.

King Louis smiled and stepped closer to them. "Princess, your portrait did you an injustice," He told her in his native tongue, which was French, "The shine of your hair is like the back of a raven. And your eyes...as blue as the ocean."

He walked forward and held his hand out to her. Kathy smiled before taking hold of his hand. With that, they walk forward together.

Henry turned, holding his hand outward. However, instead of gesturing toward Catherine, he instead grabbed his sister Mary's hand and led her in.

_____

Wearing her wedding dress, Kathy held her new husband's hand as she walked toward where Henry stood with Catherine.

"Congratulations on your marriage, dearest sister," Henry complimented his sister as they all bowed.

"Kathy, you look beautiful," Catherine complimented his sister and Kathy simply smiled at her before walking away.