29

BLOODLINES
— 29. Considerable Loss

    In Kathy's chambers, Kathy was sitting in her bath while Marie sat nearby on the bed, holding her newborn daughter in her arms

    In Kathy's chambers, Kathy was sitting in her bath while Marie sat nearby on the bed, holding her newborn daughter in her arms. Kathy's sister, Mary, sat there as well, smiling innocently. Kathy tilted her head back and sighed deeply, the hot water bringing comfort and a soothing sensation to her aching muscles.

"What was it like, to be in battle?" Mary asked Kathy, a curious look on her face.

"It was both thrilling and frightening. I felt a rush I had never experienced before. But the fear of death clung to me always," She explained, closing her eyes as she smiled at the thought, "I killed the Scottish king myself."

"It would seem congratulations is in order," Marie told Kathy, a smile forming on her lips.

"No, I fear it is anything but," Kathy admitted as she shook her head.

"How so?" Mary asked, a concerned look on her face.

"I fear that our sister Meg will never forgive me. She loved him, I believe. And I never knew that. I was the one to kill him and she knows that." Kathy explained, genuine tears beginning to form in her eyes, "She told me I love no one but myself, Henry, and Charlie."

"That's not true," Marie replied, smiling as she shook her head, "You love England too."

Kathy groaned and splashed water at Marie because of her horrible joke, causing Marie and Mary to laugh in amusement.

"I've begun to admire you, you know. More than ever before. You have the heart of a warrior. Just like Edith," Marie confessed, causing Kathy to turn to her with a curious look on her face.

"Who?" Kathy asked, a puzzled look on her face.

"As a girl, Nora once told me a story of a woman named Edith. She was a lady-in-waiting to her mother, Katherine Neville. She was bastard-born, but damn that girl could fight," Edith explained, causing Kathy and Marie to smile in amusement, "She fought in battle but no one ever knew she was a woman on the battlefield because she always wore a helmet and she fought like the most formidable of warriors would. She was a hero to the Lancastrians and won them many great victories against the Yorks."

"What happened to her?" Mary asked, a curious look on her face.

"I don't know. Nora never told me," She explained, smiling at Kathy in admiration, "You are a hero to England, Kathy, whether or not Henry decides to give you the credit for it."

"You and I both know he will take the credit for himself," Kathy replied, sighing as she leaned back in her tub, "My muscles ache from battle."

"You know what will make you feel better?" Mary asked, a playful look on her face, "A certain someone when he returns from France."