38

BLOODLINES
— 38. Reunion

     It was nighttime when Charlie arrived at Kathy's residence in France

     It was nighttime when Charlie arrived at Kathy's residence in France. He rode forward and looked upwards, feeling almost relieved at the sight of Kathy standing on the balcony above. Despite wearing widow's black, Charlie couldn't deny that she looked beautiful.

Kathy stared down at Charlie, smiling in satisfaction. "Hello, Charlie Brandon," She spoke up in a mocking tone.

"Hello, Kathy," Charlie greeted her, staring up at her with a large smile on his face, "Well, aren't you a sight for sore eyes."

Once seeing Charlie climb off his horse, Kathy made her way back into the castle. She tried her hardest to contain her excitement but found herself unable to.

She squealed excitedly and jumped up, unable to help herself. After a moment, she stopped, knowing she needed to get ahold of herself before she gave everything away.

She closed her eyes, forcing herself to take a deep breath. "Keep it together, you can't give it away," She whispered to herself softly, "You're a widow. You can't be seen getting this happy over Charlie's arrival."

Kathy took a deep breath again. She smoothed out the skirt of her dress and with that, she headed for the door.

____

Charlie soon entered the castle and when he did, he was forced to stand off to the side and wait for Kathy. It was long before she entered the hallway, wearing all black. Her ladies followed close behind her. She made her way toward him, her head bowed down low as she silently cried.

She stopped in front of him and curtsied, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Thank you for coming," She spoke to Charlie in French as though it were her native tongue, but he wasn't surprised, "My heart is breaking."

Kathy cried out as she clutched onto Charlie and hugged her, causing Charlie to frown in concern as he hugged her back. Did she actually care for him?

Charlie turned, watching as two men who stood nearby scoffed and walked away. They knew Kathy's actions were all an act, after all.

Moments later, Kathy ended up leading Charlie into her chambers, where Charlie began to feel sympathetic. He truly believed her whole act of being the grieving widow.

"Kathy, I'm sorry about old Louis. I didn't know his death would have pained you so much," He told her, only to watch as Kathy laughed and turned to him.

She no longer looked sad. She looked both relieved and happy, causing Charlie to frown in concern.

"It doesn't pain me in the slightest. Truly," She explained, walking toward him with a satisfied smirk on her face, "He was a fat pig and who do you think caused the death in the first place?"