27

BLOODLINES
— 27. Scotsman

  In her room, Marie was standing alone when there was suddenly a knock on the door

  In her room, Marie was standing alone when there was suddenly a knock on the door. She frowned and walked over to the door. She opened it, only to be confused by the sight of Catherine standing there.

"Your Grace," Marie quickly spoke up and curtsied before Catherine.

"Marie. It is good to see you," Catherine replied, a smile on her face as Marie stepped out of the way to allow her into the room.

"Forgive me, Your Grace," Marie began to say, a puzzled look on her face, "But why have you come?"

"I wanted to tell you in person that until your child is born, you needn't attend on me anymore. You need your rest," Catherine informed her with a smile on her face, only to have it gradually fade, "I also heard you went to visit Edmund of York and witnessed his execution," She explained and Marie sighed, looking down at the ground uneasily, "Why?"

"I knew Edmund when he was just a little boy. I watched as Nora sent Lizzie of York off with him to my father for safety. I watched as he was imprisoned at just seventeen years old just three years ago," She admitted, smiling sadly at the thought, "He is dead now, at only twenty. He spent his life deemed a traitor, solely because of who his father was. I was locked away in a dungeon when his father and Nora died. I had to be there for him, at least."

"You have lost so much. I am so sorry," Catherine told her, a sympathetic look on her face as she grabbed Marie's hand and held it.

"You don't need to be sorry, Your Grace. It's not your fault. And it wasn't mine, either. But I suppose I will be losing a whole lot more in the near future. Tragedy seems to run in my family's blood," Marie explained, smiling sadly as she looked away.

There was a moment of silence between them, just before Catherine decided to speak up. "I have a feeling your daughter is going to be a girl," She informed her and Marie gave her a curious look.

"You think I carry a girl?" She asked curiously as she placed a hand over her growing belly.

"It is a feeling I have, Marie," Catherine replied, placing a hand on Marie's belly, "Just as I have a feeling about mine."

Hearing Catherine's words, Marie's smile faded, and tried to hide her uneasiness. "Don't be afraid. You have given birth to one child. This birth will go by just as swiftly. You and your husband will be blessed with yet another strong and healthy child."

"But he will not be here, Your Grace," Marie replied, smiling sadly at the thought, "He will be in France, with the rest of the men. I will be here alone."

"He will return to you, I know it," She assured Marie, who simply smiled and nodded as she tried to hide her uneasiness.

_____