03| to keg

Connery's and I's definition of low-key couldn't be any more different

Connery's and I's definition of low-key couldn't be any more different. I was standing in between my two best friends in front of the very crowded Alpha Sigma Phi house. Post to Be was blasting in the stereo from the go to popular Frat Party Bangers playlist on Spotify. Yes, these guys are that basic. Peyton and Stensby were bickering about something and I couldn't even hear them speak. It was very crowded outside but I bet it was a lot worse inside.

I'm not the frat party kind of gal, I'm more like the rom com movie marathon with white whine kind. Stensby and Peyton hate it, but they stay in a few times during the semester with me to keep me company. I don't mind staying in by myself on a Wednesday night or any night for that matter but they do so I repay the favor by dragging myself against my will to these kind of things.

Hence why I was standing in the front porch of the white rustic Alpha Sigma Phi house and not because Connery sort of invited me to the party. The Alpha Sigma Phi was the oldest house in Ackerman Road, the fraternity was the first founded on campus, the structure was still intact and it looked a lot better than the other newest houses on Ackerman Road.

"Everest, are you ever planning on going in? I didn't come all this way to just stand on the front porch all night." I rolled my eyes at my green-eyed best friend and I nodded taking a step forward.

Smoke and the raging smell of alcohol drifted throughout the house from the black wooden door in the back near the kitchen to the front door where I was standing. This was definitely not my scene, but a fake smile and a few tequila shots would do the trick. It always does. At least until Stensby got lost in the crowd with his baseball teammates and Peyton made her way upstairs with Becker.

Stensby and Peyton were right at home. We barely made it through the front door before a group of their friends walked up to them to greet them. And I say them because Everest Green was as invisible as the oxygen flowing through the crowded room. Not that it bothered me at all though, I was used to it by now already.

In high-school I only focused on training and getting straight A's in all of my eight AP classes. I'd have friends in my class but we never hung out after three unless we had a school project together and they weren't that many either during the semester. It also didn't help that I wasn't the party kind of girl like all the other girls in my class. I didn't have any siblings or cousins, I was my parents only child before they passed away and my aunt had the job of balancing raising a kid alone while working at a hospital. It didn't exactly leave her with the time to date  anyone. By the time I was old enough to take care of myself she was too focused on her job that she gave up on the idea being with someone. For most of my life, my aunt and grandparents were the most important people in my life without a doubt. They were all I had and I still do.

"The guys from the team are playing strip beer pong in the living room. Wanna join?" Stensby asks and I immediately shake my head.

Not surprisingly at all Peyton bolted to the living with my hand in hers without giving me even a second to protest and say no. "Why was that even a question Stensby? I'm always down to kick your ass in beer pong."