07| ulterior motives

"Thank you for your time, Mrs

"Thank you for your time, Mrs. Green, we'll be interviewing the rest of the candidates and we'll let you know if you got the job." The lady dressed in a black pantsuit says. I nod with my head and I walk out of the interview review.

I didn't want to jinx it, but I was pretty confident about how the interview went. My aunt's friend, Jared, wasn't the one that interviewed me for the internship. I spoke to him briefly and he got to know me better but he preferred that his partner, Amanda, was the one who did. He felt he would be biased when he did because of the history he has with my aunt. I totally didn't mind, by the way, I wanted to land the internship by with my own merit, not because my aunt called in a favor.

If I'm being honest, I would be pretty disappointed if I didn't get the internship. Jared was telling me all about the work that they do in the firm and it was exactly the direction I wanted to go in my law career. They worked with many rape victims (including victims of our campus as well) and they have also helped unjustly accused people that were on death row get their sentence overturned.

Overall, I decided to stay optimistic about the situation, if it doesn't turn out the way I would've wanted to (aside from begging for my old job back) I was glad that at least I was considered and I learned something from the experience. Which meant that next time I knew what I was going up against.

Now, the thing I had been putting off in the back of my mind (because I needed to stay focused for the interview) was the training session I had with Connery in an hour. Peyton spent all morning teasing me about it (which obviously didn't help my case). I barely have spoken a few complete sentences to the guy and now I have to spend every Saturday with him? Every BGU girl's dream come true (with me being the exception, of course).

My phone started ringing in my front pocket as I got inside Peyton's car and I hit the answer button as soon as I saw it was Aunt Claire calling. "Aunt Claire, hi!"

"Hey, baby girl! I'm so glad to hear your voice."

I instantly started to worry, Aunt Claire's tone was different than usual. Something was definitely wrong with her. "Is everything okay? You don't sound okay. Did something happen to grandpa?"

"I'm not, but it has nothing to do with Grandpa Ev. It was just a hard shift at the ER that's all."

"Did something happen to the little baby girl you were telling me about the other day?" Aunt Claire called me a few days ago and she told me about a little baby girl that was having respiratory complications and they couldn't find out the reason why it was happening.

"Yeah, she passed away last night." Aunt Claire went silent on the other line.

"I'm so sorry, but I know you did everything you could. I could borrow Peyton's car and drive down to see you, we could eat tubs of cookie dough ice cream and watch a Friends marathon."

"As much as I would love that, it's a seven-hour drive Ev. I'll be okay. Now, I didn't call to get you all sad about my problems over here. Jared texted me, how did the interview go?"