08| don't push your luck

"Bro, where are you going?" O'Connor says stopping me from walking down the stairs

"Bro, where are you going?" O'Connor says stopping me from walking down the stairs. "It's way too early for you to be awake on a Saturday."

I turn around to face O'Connor. "I'm going to the pavilion to train for a little bit."

O'Connor looks at me confused. "It's eight am Connery, don't you usually sleep in and train around eleven? I was hoping I could join you today."

"You can't," I tell O'Connor and he looks at me more confused than before. "I'm heading out early because Coach asked me to help Everest out with her breathe stoke technique and I have to get my training in before she arrives."

"Everest Green?" O'Connor says surprised and I nod my head. "Since when do you do favors for Coach? Are you taking charity cases now?"

"O'Connor, shut up please." I groan. "You're giving me a headache with all these questions you're asking."

"I see," O'Connor grins and I raise my eyebrows. "You like her. That must be it because you wouldn't sacrifice your Saturday mornings just to help her out. You must have ulterior motives, my friend."

"That's ridiculous O'Connor, stop making up things in that tiny little brain of yours," I tell my best friend. He's not wrong about one thing, well actually two. I would never sacrifice my Saturday mornings for anyone and I do have ulterior motives, but it doesn't involve taking Everest Green to bed. "She's not my type."

After O'Connor going back and forth over his ridiculous accusations and assumptions for about ten minutes, I finally made it to the pavilion. It was empty as it always is on Saturdays. Coach kills us so much during the week at practice that everyone prefers to stay in to get the most out of their weekends. I, on the other hand, don't have that luxury (not that I mind getting up to train on the weekends) I love what I do so much that I want to be the best. And being the best means sacrificing and working hard while others sleep because while you sleep there is someone else out there working harder than you to be the best.

I usually do my own workouts during the weekends but Coach Dave (the head coach of the USA Swim Team) has been sending me workouts for the past weeks. During summer break I had the best time practicing with the national team, it was a great experience and I got the taste of what it means to swim for your country. Now, that I know what it feels like I won't stop working until I get to the Olympics.

To start off the practice I had 600 meters of warm-up divided into 300 yards freestyle swim, 200 yards pull with a buoy and 100 yards kick with the board. It was a pretty easy warm-up and it usually took me twenty to thirty minutes. But just like Coach Jennings every time Coach Dave gave an easy warm-up that meant that we were going to end up out of breath for the rest of practice. The water was pretty warm today, which was a complete surprise to me, it usually is freezing especially since winter is approaching.

For the rest of the workout today Coach Dave divided it into 4 x 50 meters freestyle with 10 seconds rest in between laps, 4 x 100 meters counting your strokes per length with 20 seconds rest in between laps (aiming to take one fewer stroke each round), 4 x 50 meters kick with the board with 15 seconds rest in between laps, 8 x 50 meters alternating sprint freestyle (odds) and sprint stroke count (evens) with 10 seconds rest in between laps.