18| scars

Four years ago

Four years ago

"Ev, baby girl, it's time to get up." Aunt Claire says sitting on the edge of my small twin-sized bed. I've been hiding under the white linen sheets for the past thirty minutes ever since I got woken up by my alarm clock. "I know you don't want to go to school, but I'm afraid there's no escaping it today. You've already missed out on a week of class and I have run out of excuses."

Before coming out of my very comfortable and safe hiding spot in my comfortable bed, I made sure to wipe off the tears that were on my cheeks. Aunt Claire has been taking days off to keep an eye on me and I somehow needed to show her that I was going to be okay without her keeping an eye on me all the time. I have already been a burden to her this past week and I didn't want to be one anymore. But I knew that there was no fooling her into believing I would be. She knows me too well. I mean, she did raise me after all.

"I know," I frown, coming out of the covers. "I've been sick for way too long."

"Did you fall asleep crying last night again?" Aunt Claire asks with a heartbroken expression on her face.

"I'm sorry," I apologize. "I couldn't help it. I've been trying, trying to get past it but I just can't. Everything reminds me of him."

"Baby girl, it's okay." Aunt Claire pulls me into a hug. "You should never apologize for your feelings. They're yours and nobody else's. As much as I would love to tell you that I understand what you're going through I can't. Everybody's experience is different and you're allowed to feel."

Tears started to stream down my face as I hugged Aunt Claire. I never thought it would hurt this much, but being told to get a grip made me feel as if I wasn't allowed to be angry or hurt. A year and a half full of memories, good ones, and bad ones as well. You just don't forget about all of that as easily as everyone wants you too. If I could turn off my feelings, I would. If I had the choice I would choose to feel anything but what I have been feeling the past week.

"Thank you," I say pulling away from the hug. "You've sacrificed so much for me and I feel like I don't always tell you how thankful for that. You didn't have to raise me all on your own, but you didn't think about it twice about saying yes when you were asked. You gave up your whole life for me."

Aunt Claire's eyes start to water. "You don't have to thank me, Ev, it was out of the question, I'm glad that I was given the chance, even though it had to be through heartbreaking circumstances, to raise such a beautiful and strong young woman. You were made to do many great things, don't give up on yourself. I bet mom and dad are so proud of the young woman you are becoming."

I wipe off the tears that are running down my cheeks as I look at the picture of my parents that sat in a beautiful frame on my nightstand. "I miss them so much, I wish they were here."

"I do too," Aunt Claire frowns as she also looks at the picture. "Your dad would've loved to throw a few punches to Kingston's face for what he did. I remember how you changed his life when you were first born, he was so scared at first, but once he held you in his arms, he never wanted to let you go."