31| black and white

We still do and always will

We still do and always will. A beautiful wooden sign stood a few feet from the steps of the old white church of our little town. Just above where the words were written, a garland of white roses was hanging. I grabbed the end of my yellow dress as I walked up the steps of the church. The path to the altar was decorated with white rose petals and at the end sat the huge arc covered in white rose petals as well.

My charming and handsome Grandpa was standing next to the pastor as he patiently waited for Grandma to walk out. He flashed me a smile before I took a quick detour to the back of the church where Grandma, Aunt Claire, and the bridesmaids were getting finished with the final touch-ups.

"Are we ready to go?" I ask as I walk into the room. Grandma turned around and I smiled widely. She looked beautiful in that wedding dress. Grandma wanted to use the same dress she used the day she married Grandpa but of course, it didn't fit her, she was a lot more different back in the days. "Everyone is already here."

As a gift, Aunt Claire and I came up with the idea of making her a new dress using the same fabric as her old one. We turned something old, into something beautiful and new. It was a little on the pricier side, but no amount of money could match the happiness I was seeing in my Grandma's eyes.

"We are, we just need to put the finishing touch." Aunt Claire said as she put the white veil on Grandma. "Now we're ready, you look beautiful mom."

Grandma smiles. "Thank you, dear, I hope your dad thinks so too."

"What are you talking about?" I give her a look. "You may look a few decades older, but you're still the same woman that stole his heart fifty-one years ago, not because of your looks but because of your kindness and beautiful heart."

"I did, didn't I?" Grandma says as she takes a look in the mirror. "I'm ready to fall in love all over again. Just like I did the first time I saw your grandfather. You should've seen him back then, he looked just like your father."

"I bet he did, dad had to get his handsome genes from somewhere, besides you of course," I add.

Grandma chuckles. "I wish your dad were here to see this, when we started this journey fifty years ago, I didn't think I would be here the day when we would hit this milestone."

I hug grandma from behind. "He's here, front row. And I bet he has the biggest smile on his face too." We all got into our positions and I met with Sèbastien, last night Grandma insisted that he accompanied me down the aisle. I was going to go solo on this one, but Grandma didn't leave Sèbastien alone until he accepted.

After we left the cemetery yesterday, Sèbastien suggested that we drove around or went to grab a bite so I could clear my head before we arrived at the house. I took him to all of my favorite places here in Scottsdale and we also grabbed a bite in one of my favorite places too. I did get to clear my head, how couldn't I? Sèbastien made sure of it by making me laugh countless times until my stomach hurt.