30| take you home

"Aunt Claire, for the hundredth time, I promise you that I have everything," I tell my Aunt as she insists that I double-check my suitcase to make sure I don't leave any important belongings behind

"Don't give me an attitude, I just want you to make sure that you do have everything." Aunt Claire pauses. "It's a nine-hour drive Ev, you don't want to be halfway into the drive and realize that you left something important behind."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to come out that way. I'm just a little stressed out." I apologize. "And the most important thing I need is my dress, you have it over at your house. Everything else I'm sure I can compensate if I leave it behind."

"I understand, we're excited to see you, baby girl. Grandpa Willy has been impatient lately waiting for your arrival." Aunt Claire chuckles. "It's a bummer that you won't be able to drive your car down here, he was hoping to see it."

"I bet he has and I'm happy that I get to go home and see you guys. I can't wait to hug you guys, love and kindness have been falling short over here lately." I frown. "And I know Grandpa Willy wanted to do a full inspection on my car but it's at the shop. I accidentally backed into the wall in the parking garage."

"You can't trust those cameras Ev, it clearly says it on the screen, objects seem closer than they appear." Aunt Claire scolds.

"I know, I was just distracted. But it's getting fixed, by the time I get back from Arizona it will be looking good as new." I assure Aunt Claire.

I had no other choice but to lie. If I had told Aunt Claire the truth about what really happened to my car she would be frantic and way too worried about me. And that's only talking about her, I can't imagine how Grandpa Willy would get if he knew what I was going through over here. Peyton was so kind and the greatest friend like she always is by letting me drive her car to Arizona instead of mine. My family has enough on their plate as it is, they don't need another problem added to theirs.

As for the threats, they still arrive from time to time on our front doorstep but we just throw them away from the same way they arrive. The case on the other hand is headed in the right direction (thank God). After Tommy was arrested, he was processed and arraignment was scheduled for later today. We had a strong feeling that this was headed to trial because there was no way that Tommy was going to plead guilty on all counts. Since I couldn't be present for arraignment today, Jared would be giving me a call later in the afternoon to tell me the date of the start of the trial. It only got harder from there, we had to build an impeccable case against Tommy because any mistake could be a defining factor of the outcome.

"If you say so," Aunt Claire pauses. "Before I hang up, Grandma wants to know if you'll be bringing a date."

"I'm afraid I'm flying solo once again," I reply. "Peyton was supposed to come with me but Dant's parents are going to be in town this weekend so I told her that I could go by myself. Besides I've spent every family gathering since I broke up with Kingston getting asked when I will bring a boy home. If I have survived it until now, I can get through another day getting asked the same thing multiple times."