17| this is me

Peyton and I headed over to the little shopping center that was a few minutes away from campus to buy the dress for tonight

Peyton and I headed over to the little shopping center that was a few minutes away from campus to buy the dress for tonight. There weren't a lot of stores so it was definitely a hit or miss. Peyton's closet was big, but not big enough to have a dress suitable for this special occasion. That's why we ended up in one of the few boutiques in the shopping center. The dresses were beautiful but they were also expensive.

I did end up finding the perfect one though, a line long red satin dress with a bateau neckline and a high slit on the right. It was the last dress I tried on and it ended up being the perfect one. I was hoping I didn't outdo myself, but Connery did say the dress code was formal. Besides, Aunt Claire always told me that it was better to arrive overdressed than underdressed for any occasion.

Peyton was helping me zip up my dress and she would also be doing my hair for tonight. She hasn't been able to shut up about the fact that Connery asked me to be his date tonight. Peyton is definitely more excited than I am, that's for sure. My nerves are overpowering my excitement, I would be meeting Connery's family and that was the part that scared me the most.

Connery didn't talk about his family much, so there weren't many details that could help me out tonight. The only person he always talks about is his sister Emma, so I figured that maybe he doesn't have a good relationship with his parents. And I didn't want to press for details on the matter either, I figured that he would open up to me about that part of his life when he was ready just like I did.

"You look breathe taking Ev," Peyton smiles as she looks at me through the vanity mirror. "Connery's jaw is going to drop once he sees you in this dress."

"He doesn't see me like that Peyton," I say. "We're just friends."

"You can be friends with someone and feel an attraction towards the person," Peyton says as she brushes my long black hair. "We can all see the way he looks at you, you can't tell me you don't see it." I have never noticed it actually. Maybe it's because I don't see him going for a girl like me. I'm not the type of girl boys go for, now girls like Peyton and Inez, that's a completely different story. They're the type of girls that get approached by guys at a party while I on the other hand stand in a corner unnoticed.

"I just don't see it," I honestly say. "I'm not his type, have you seen the girls he hooks up with? Have you seen Inez?"

"I have," Peyton admits. "But who's the girl he's taking home to meet his family? You or Inez?"

I sit in my vanity chair in silence. "Me," I reply.

"Then you have your answer," Peyton smiles. "I know it's hard for you to believe that someone might actually want you for who you are because you've been hurt before, but you are so much more than what meets the eye Ev. You're the perfect example of grace and bravery, my little golden pheasant, your wings are scarred with bullet holes yet you have never regretted learning how to fly."