34| loving you is a loosing game

WARNING: This chapter contains mention of both physical and emotional abuse

WARNING: This chapter contains mention of both physical and emotional abuse. If any of these are triggering, please feel free to skip this one.

My head was still pounding. After I got back from Nebraska with Inez on Saturday night, the boys thought that it was only appropriate to celebrate the rest of the weekend. I don't drink, but I let myself get carried away and with the first five tequila shots in my system, there was no turning back. I woke up this morning with the worst hangover that is still very present even though I took a few pills and a four-hour nap before coming to practice. This was one of the many reasons why I don't drink.  And since the regular season is coming to an end very soon, you can bet Coach wasn't going to come to play today.

I needed to wake myself up and see if I could manage to pull a little bit of energy to get through practice so I decided to walk to the pavilion instead of driving. With my headphones plugged in, today's segment of ESPN was on. Even if I felt like a truck ran me over, I for sure knew that listening to what the reporters say would give me the strength and motivation to get through practice. After all, I do like to prove everybody wrong. And the qualifiers were just the beginning.

"One of the most decorated NCAA college swimmer and Olympian, Casper Ambrose joins us live on Sports Center today." Josiah Lyle, the ESPN reporter speaks. "It's good to have you back in the studio with us Casper."

"I'm excited to be here again with you guys, thank you for having me," Casper replies.

"To kick off today's segment of Sports Center, we'll dive at the end of the NCAA Swimming regular season and our predictions of who will be taking the gold  home in less than a month." Josiah pauses. "We've been talking about it ever since the season started, BGU, what a path of redemption they've been on. They're undefeated so far. What are your thoughts on BGU's run Casper?"

"Well Josiah, you heard it from Coach Jennings at the start of the season, they came to take back what's theirs this season." Damn, right we did. "They have once proven themselves to be the best team all-around in the league."

"But are they?" Josiah asks. "Even though they came back and made a statement, we both know it means nothing if they don't end up taking home the gold."

Casper nods. "I have to agree with you there Josiah, at that moment, the path to the finals means nothing. It's in the moments of pressure when you are faced with your opponent and the trophy a meet away where true champions are born. BGU will have to prove that they can handle the pressure." Oh, we'll prove it. Just wait and see.

"How do you see OHSU this season?" Josiah asks. "They've been just as dominant as BGU, the only thing they haven't managed to do this season is beat BGU. They lost their only matchup against the team this season."

"They came back just as dominant as last year Josiah. OHSU was the champion of last season for a reason." Casper replies. "And you know that anyone can win a regular-season matchup. When it comes down to the last two standing, I wouldn't count OHSU out."