22| call it what you want

I was terrified

I was terrified. As I walked through campus I paid attention to the groups of people that surrounded me and the students that walked by. The report was coming out today, there was no going back after this. I questioned if I was doing the right thing about a hundred times last night while I was having one of my many breakdowns. But no matter how many times I tried to tell myself that a lot of people were going to be hurt, deep down I knew it was the right thing to do. Macy and Emily deserved justice, the justice Conrad and the administration fell short of giving them.

After the meet at OHSU, when Connery caught me talking to Peyton, I lied my little ass off. Aunt Claire raised no liar, but I just couldn't do it. The guilt was eating me up inside though, that was one of the many reasons why I ignored Connery all weekend. Stensby and Peyton told me I was just being a coward and that he deserved to know it from me, not from reading all about it on the school's paper. And I agree, I am being a coward and he deserves better than to find out from reading it on the paper like everyone else on campus.

That's why when I woke up this morning, I managed to build up the courage and I texted him. We need to talk. Let's meet after Emerson's class near Webster Hall. Connery didn't reply, he called me instead but I declined the call. I wasn't prepared for all of his unanswered questions yet.

When I reached Fisher Hall I quickly walked up the three flights of stairs, the elevators were crowded and I couldn't afford being late. Out of all of the days, today wasn't one of those days where I wanted to hear Emerson's voice besides the hour we had to endure for today's lecture. I tried to spot Connery but the unread message I had on my phone, told me that he wasn't coming to Emerson's class today. Can we talk after practice? Something came up. I can't make it to Emerson's class. I replied to the text right before I walked into the auditorium. Ok.

Stensby was sitting in the second row after where Connery and I usually sit together ever since we began to hang out. So I walked over to where my best friend was sitting and I grabbed the empty seat next to him. "I'm glad to see that you made it on time. Did you get tired of hearing Emerson's scolding tone?"

"Yes," I reply. "And I'm still avoiding Connery so I wanted to make sure I got to class before him so I wouldn't have to sit next to him. I got here early for nothing though, he isn't coming to class today."

"I see," Stensby says giving me a look. "And I for a second thought that you wanted to spend some quality time with your best friend."

"That too."

"Yeah right," Stensby rolls his eyes. "May I ask why you're still avoiding Connery? We've already stated that you're just a coward but still, what are you waiting for?"

"For the right moment," I reply.

"There is no right moment Ev, you have to face him sometime." Stensby pauses. "You do realize you're both on the same team right? What are you so afraid of?"