39| those nights

WARNING! This chapter contains mature content at the end of the chapter

WARNING! This chapter contains mature content at the end of the chapter. Feel free to skip it if you'd like, reader discretion is advised. Enjoy! (;

I felt the rays of the sun burning against my bare skin as I opened my eyes. I turned my gaze to the left and my arm that was once wrapped against Ev's small figure rested in the empty left side of the bed. Throwing my body off of the bed, I walked over to the bathroom and it was also empty. She must be downstairs, I checked the time and it was way too early for everyone else to be awake so she must be alone.

Last night, after Stensby and Kelsea arrived I noticed that she was distracted. She talked and listened but sometimes it looked like she wasn't even there at all. I wanted to ask because I know her well enough to know that there was something wrong, but against my curiosity, I withheld from asking. Aside from the fact that I didn't want to pry and give her the chance to tell me when she was ready, we've been working on building back our trust in each other. And even though it's been a slow process, I needed to trust that she would tell me, the bad or the good.

Before heading downstairs to check up on Ev, I put on my BGU Swimming hoodie along with a pair of grey sweatpants. When I walked out of our room, the smell of fresh coffee hit me just like it does every morning when I stay at Ev's place. Her caffeine addiction was something else. She drinks more than four cups of coffee on a daily.

The sun was shining bright outside and with a cup of coffee in her hand, Ev was sitting in one of the lounge chairs in the small boardwalk outside the house. A smile instantly curved into my lips as I spotted her. With messy morning hair and one of my t-shirts on, she looked just as beautiful. I still remember the day I saw her in Emerson's class with her unicorn pajama pants, she was a wreck that day but just as beautiful. How lucky am I that I had the chance to cross paths with her in this lifetime?

I walked up to her and I wrapped my arms around her from behind, planting a kiss on her right cheek. Her lips curved into a smile. "Good morning preciosa,"

"I love it when you talk to me in Spanish, those classes are coming more in handy than I thought." Ev says making me laugh. "Buenos días, hermoso."

She stands up, letting me sit in the chair, so she could sit on my lap. "How did you wake up today? Did the five tequila shots you took last night do any damage?"

"What do you think?" I laugh. Another reason as to why I don't drink. Waking up with a pounding headache the next day? No thanks. I'll pass. "This is my third cup of coffee and it's only eight am."

"You shouldn't have played tequila pong with Stensby, I warned you," I tell her and she rolls her eyes. Last night Stensby challenged Ev to a game of tequila pong and of course, she wasn't going to turn down a challenge. Stensby would've annoyed Ev to no end if she hadn't accepted. "Babe, I know. But I won in the end, so the hangover I have in this fine morning was worth it."