Chapter 3

Dylan POV

As the plane finally lands, a sense of nostalgia engulfs me. I'm not sure how it's my first time here, but I felt more at home in this war torn country, than any foster homes I've lived in.

"Set up the tents and supplies. We have a long night ahead of us as the days come. I want John and Kennedy to patrol with myself for any enemies." I ordered.

It's strange giving commands when I'm usually receiving them.

Both John and Kennedy abided me and we started on a mile long patrol along the borders of our tent. As I observed the destruction of buildings, the weight of my gun seemed to increase.

"I remember coming here with my family nearly 20 years ago. It was such a beauty that my parents were ready to move here if it weren't for their jobs."

As I listen to John's words, all I can think about is how such a country came to this miserable state.

"I see something along the bushes, a silhouette maybe." Kennedy says as he approaches the shadowed figure.

Before he can take any more steps, I notice the snipers that they attempted to hide.

"Snipers, lay low" and in an instant both men lay in the ground along with me.

Not even a day here and the battle has already started. We were outnumbered and more of them just seemed to appear out of thin air.

As I shot my rifle at them, I saw their lives leave their body. Before I can even react a scream reaches my ears.

"Shit, ken's down, we need to bring him to camp right now or else he's not going to make it. SARGE!!"

As I snap out of my thoughts, I look down to see a bullet embedded in Kennedy's abdomen.

"John put pressure on the wound" I ordered as I carried Kennedy back to camp.

We reach camp in record time, and lay Ken on the medical bed.

"What happened"

"Where did they attack"

"Who attacked"

"Will he survive"

"How did this happen"

As the questions of my men bombarded me, all I could do was blame myself. I was put incharge of my men and their safety, yet one is on his dead bed before he even got the opportunity to see the sun rise here.

"Hey breathe, it's ok. It wasn't your fault. Neither of us knew they had an extra hiding behind the bricks."

"It is my fault. He's a kid for god sake, 20 years old and I don't even know if he's gonna survive. It's happening all over again, except I couldn't do anything back then, and now I still let it happen despite being able to prevent it."

"We were outnumbered and they kept showing out of nowhere. If it weren't for you taking nearly half of them, both ken and I would be dead on the field."

As John tried to ease the guilt I felt, his words did nothing. He has a family and a kid that are waiting for him at home. I should've taken the bullet for him.

My thoughts were disrupted as I hear the word of relief,

"He's out of danger, a couple weeks rest and he can return to the battleground. You're lucky it didn't damage his internal organs."

As the doctor says this, I let out a breath of relief. It felt like the weight on my back disappeared. I know too well that this will only be temporary, and one day we will face more severe casualties. The worst part is there will be nothing I can do to stop it.

"See man, he's all good. We just needed a little bit of faith."

John and I fought in a war nearly six years ago. The war that changed my life. I'm more than grateful that he's here with me right now. With that thought we both went to see Kennedy.

"Hey, how are you guys doing" he rasped out.

"We should be asking you that" John chuckles.

After settling down and asking for his well being, his response to my next question surprised me.

"Just say the word, and I'll send you back home kid"

" First of all, I came here knowing the consequences to help save people, not run away. And second, I'm a father already, you should really stop calling me a kid."

"You're twenty and younger than me -

"Younger than both of us, so we can call you a kid, kiddo"

John interrupted before we all started laughing.

As I left the medical wing to check on the other men, a huge figure jumped on me. What I felt next was sloppy kisses and licks all over my face. Instantly I knew who it was.

"Hey Max, hey boy" I exclaimed as I petted the seven year old German Shepherd dog who still thought he was a puppy.

After nearly a minute, Max calmed down and joined me to see the rest of my men.

"What happened out there to Kennedy, was truly unfortunate. We were ambushed and outnumbered, but we were also lucky to escape with our lives."

I started my speech to the soldiers.

"Their tactic is to hide and pounce so we need to be prepared at any moment. Their fighting method is sly rather than head on so we will have to be careful."

As I stated that, many of the soldiers were ready to come up with plans to end this war and help the innocent citizens.

With battle strategies, everyone soon departed to their room and tried to fall asleep.