Chapter 16

Dylan POV

I entered the room, carrying three bowls of porridge, as Jamie immediately snatched one from mine. Leah smiles generously before accepting the bowl I gave to her.

"The porridge was all that remained from the leftover. I heated it up, so it should be good."

"It's fine. Thank you, Dylan."

"At least we didn't get stale bread from the other day. It tasted like paper, blech"

Laughing at his facial expression, we all started eating with light conversation. Occasionally I would say flirty things to Leah, as she sent me blushing looks.

"Eww, if you don't stop acting like you are on a love potion or something, I'm going to barf out my breakfast."

To my surprise Leah got up and grabbed all of our empty bowls, as she gave me a kiss on the cheek, causing Jamie to groan.

Just as my shock disappeared and Leah went out the door to where I assumed the kitchen to put our empty bowls, Jamie scooted close to me.

"You might be the Sergeant and all, but if you hurt my sister I will hurt you."

I internally laughed at the thought of a ten year old threatening me with no fear in his eyes. Deciding to play along, I saluted to him saying,

"Yes sir. You are the captain after all, which is greater than a Sergeant."

"I'm not joking. I'm completely serious."

"I'm serious too. Hurting your sister is like hurting myself."

I agreed in all seriousness. In all my life I never really had a goal, except now I did. I never wanted to see Leah cry or suffer anymore. Instead I wanted to see her carefree smile.

Leah POV

Ever since I was a little girl, I had a bad behaviour of eavesdropping. I know, it's invading people's privacy and is rude, but I couldn't help it.

My heart nearly stopped as my baby brother and love talked about protecting me. It was cute that my ten year old brother stood up for me against a muscled adult.

As Dylan promised to keep me happy, I nearly wanted to run back in the room and hug them. Despite the ugliness of war, I sure did find happiness because of it.

As their conversation topic soon changed into cars, I took that as my que to continue my journey to the kitchen.

After greeting the cooks, I washed our dishes and decided to head back to the room.

"Hey, Leah"

"Hey Kennedy. Is everything ok?"

"Yeah, I just was wondering if everything is good with you and Jamie."

"Yeah, we're good. Really happy in fact. Thank you for asking. Are you alright though?"

"I'm searching for the Sarge. Have you seen him anywhere?"

"He was spending some time with Jamie and I. I'm pretty sure he's in our room right now as we speak."

His nervous expression was replaced with a shocked one.

"Oh, I'll meet him later than. Bye Leah"

As I saw the quickly Kennedy's figure fading away, I continued walking despite the unease I felt. I'm probably overthinking it.

"Hey guys. Where's Jamie?"

"Hello to you too Leah. The doctor came to give him a regular check up and practice his walking."