Chapter 7

Leah POV

I was laying helpless in the ground, only hearing a ringing in my ear, breathing in and tasting the smoke from the bomb that exploded. I saw my Jamie lying on the ground as his blood surrounded him.

Despite my body's protest, I crawled over to Jamie. The ringing sensation finally left my ear as I called out to an unconscious Jamie.

His right leg seemed mangled with a shard of glass sticker through his calf, and blood spurting out.

"Please Jamie wake up. You can't leave me. Remember we said we will struggle and make it out alive together. Not take the easy way out. Please Jamie."

As my sobs increased the rational part of my mind checked his pulse to see that it's still beating slowly.

In an instant I ripped a piece of my dress and wrapped his wound on his leg, which bled heavily. My mom was a doctor and I remember her telling me to always stop the blood flow in an injury similar to Jamie's.

With the last remaining strength, I lifted a limp Jamie and carried him off to find aid. At this point I was desperate to just face his life. Even if it meant getting treatment at an enemy facility.

As I walk hopelessly, I notice a truck parked just a few meters away. I sprinted towards it, hoping that someone would come to our aid. I see a human figure standing by the truck as I plead loudly for help.

"Please help us. He's injured, he's just a kid. Please I'll do anything, just save his life."

Hearing my pleas I come in sight of a man that is just under the height of six feet, with blue eyes and a buzz cut of blind hair.

"Woah calm down. I'll bring you to our faculty immediately. Lie him in the back of the Jeep."

Carrying Jamie, the stranger placed him on the truck. The army men here who attacked us wore a black attire, whereas this man wore a dark green attire with random patterns, just a few shades darker and lighter. He had different badges, one of which is a flag of an international army.

Realizing my observation on him the man starts clarifying my doubts.

"I'm not one of those evil army men. Nearly a hundred men, just like me were sent here to save innocent victims trapped in this country and put an end to this injustice. I know it must be hard, but you have to trust me, I'm good. As long as you aren't working with the politicians and army men of your country."

"I'm not. For decades we were protecting ourselves and running away from them."

"I'm sure with the help of my Sargent, we can help you flee this country or at least provide temporary protection. I must ask, what happened out there to cause this injury?"

"Many innocent people, just like Jamie and I lived in a ruined neighbourhood. The army didn't think that anyone would live there after seeing the immense damage, so they stopped coming there.

I guess as more people came to live there as a sanctuary someone must have informed the army. A heartless traitor. I heard the noise of the trucks and machinery approaching, so I was able to hide Jamie and myself."

I took a moment to breathe and stop the waver in my voice. My eyes stung as I released more tears, recalling the tragic incident.

"We finally left the building just to see many mangled and dead bodies. Once we thought were clear, there seemed to have been a bomb that activated. I don't remember what happened after that. It was all a blur."

"We'll take a look at that place. It must have been a bomb that they set up for any remaining survivors."

As I understood his words, I reprinded myself for acting so carelessly and foolishly. If I took a moment to think of those sly army men, Jamie wouldn't be fighting for his life right now.

The sight of the camp arose and with the help of the kind soldier, he carried Jamie into the medical wing. I flowed behind them horridly before the doctor instructed me to sit out, as they had to check out Jamie without any interruptions.

The waiting and anticipation nearly killed me. I slid against the floor and cried more tears out until I was physically exhausted. I couldn't sleep, but neither could I stay awake. If I and to go through this torture to ensure Jamie's wellbeing, I would gladly accept.

John, the kind soldier who came to our aid patiently waited by my side, only leaving to grab some food and water for us both.

The door that stood in between Jamie and I finally opened as the doctor came out.

"Ms. Leah, Jamie is alive and out of danger."

As those words came out of the doctors mouth I sighed in relief and cried joyous tears for the first time in years.

The joy I felt was cut short by the doctor's next words.

"But Ms. Leah, we have to inform you that in order to save his life, we had to amputate his right leg, from the knee down. It was beyond repair from the explosion. I'm sorry."

My joyous tears doomed turned into tears of misery. How many more obstacles did we have to face. Jamie was a kid, yet he faced more than enough hardships.

I knew that I should be grateful that his life is saved, but he can never have the normal life he always dreamt of.

"Hey Leah, we can make a prosthetic leg for him. It'll be fine once he gets used to it. I have many fellow army friends who lost their limbs to war. Yes it will be an obstacle, but he will be fine. I promise."

Listening to the soothing words of John, I tried to be more optimistic and went inside to take a look at Jamie.

He slept soundly as he laid there hooked on the iv and painkillers. Holding his hands and listening to his heartbeat on the machine, I soon fell asleep.