Chapter 19

Dylan POV

It's been a month since I officially asked Leah to be my girlfriend, and I've been the happiest in my entire life. With our occasional displays of affection and her cute kisses I've been smiling like a fool all the time.

Everything seems so perfect, Leah and I are in cloud nine, Jamie has pretty much mastered walking with his prosthetic, and there have so far been no attacks on our soldiers.

My amazing thoughts are cut off by the memory of my order to Kennedy. A little over a month ago, he suspected that Leah might be rat. I knew he was false, but I didn't want to be a bias Sargent.

If I am willing to doubt the loyalty of one of my men, I should be doubtful of Leah too, or so I thought. The deeper I fell in love with her and trusted her, the more I realized it was a mistake to allow Kennedy to spy on her and Jamie.

Immediately standing up, I went in search of Kennedy to find him helping train the dogs. I looked at all the dogs and realized Max was missing.

"Hey Kennedy!"

"Hey Sarge. Everything ok?"

"I need to talk to you privately. Come outside will you?"

Nodding his head, he followed me as the other soldiers took care of the dogs.

"I meant to ask you, where is Max?"

"I believe I saw him with Leah and Jamie. I'm pretty sure they finished his physical therapy just about now."

Getting out to the field and making sure nobody is there, I proceeded to talk to him about what I came for.

"Look Kennedy, I gave you a month's time to search if you found anything leading that Leah and Jamie are our rats. Did you find anything?"

"No, Sarge. You were right, they are innocent. If there  is anything suspicious, you would be the first to notice. I'm sorry for doubting you."

"Now try to find who the real rats are. We can't keep planning things if we are going to get exposed, Kennedy."

"Yes Sarge. I'm sorry for doubting you."

He left immediately, as I sighed a breath in relief. It felt as if the weight of the soldiers lifted off my shoulders. Just as I was about to leave, I heard sobs coming near me.

Worryingly, I quickly checked behind her to find the one person who shouldn't have known about this. Her face was converted in tears as sobs wracked her body.

Her eyes that once held so much adoration and love now expressed hate, sorrow, and betrayal.

"Leah... I"

I didn't know what to say to her. She probably hates me after what she heard. I and to let her know I didn't mean it. The thought of losing her felt like death itself.

Before I saw it, a hand came flying at my cheek. I didn't even protest and would have accepted all her hits if she could just forgive me.

Shock took over her expression for a split second before it went back to hate, sorrow, and betrayal.

"Leah, you have to understand, it's not what it sounds like."

"You said you loved me, but you couldn't even trust me. You sent you men to spy on Jamie and me. We're your words and actions of affection just to spy on us too."

"Everything I felt for you from the start until now is real. I never doubted you for a second. Please believe me."

"How can I believe you, when you couldn't believe me. I begged you not to hurt me, except that's what you exactly did.

You said hurting me is like hurting you, then why did you do this to us? I've never done anything to cause you to doubt us. We came to you for help, and trust you.

Don't you think Jamie and I have been through enough already? He thinks of you as his older brother, but you just took advantage of the adoration and trust he had on you. You used the love I had on you."

As tears rolled down her face and she said that, my heart nearly broke in two. Seeing her hurt like this and knowing it was because of me nearly broke me.

I didn't want to even imagine how Jamie would feel if he found out the truth. He looked up to me as an older brother and I looked at him as my own younger brother.

"Please you have to believe me Leah. I know that was stupid of me, but let me explain."

He went to hold my arm, as a tear slid down his cheek. Despite the tug I felt in my heart, I took a step back.

"Don't touch me Dylan. I thought I'll finally be happy again, but I was wrong. Just leave Jamie and I alone."

The moment she said that, for the first time a year streamed down my face in sadness. Every time I was sad or hated the foster family I lived with, I took my anger out in fights at school.

She's the first girl that made me tear up in happiness and she's the first that made me cry. I saw her walk away, and all hope dwindled on me.

It felt as if all my power disappeared and I sunk down to my knees.

"Please Leah"

I whispered only to be met with silence. I took the Jeep and decided to go for a drive before I went to speak to her. I'm sure she probably wanted to calm down and not see me. I won't give up on us though, not this easily.

A couple hours later I returned to be met with the worried gaze of all my men. Kennedy was in the crowd as John approached me slowly.

"What happened. John?"

"Leah and Jamie, they're gone."

"What. I think I misheard you. They can't be gone, she's probably somewhere here."

"We spent the last hour searching the entire camp. They aren't here."

"Shit, someone must have taken her. She wouldn't leave, she wouldn't."

"I saw her leave with her bags and Jamie. They seemed a bit off, but I didn't think too much of it."

I knew subconsciously it was my fault, but I didn't want the blame. Anger filled me as I marched over to Kennedy and grabbed him by his collar.

"It's all your fucking fault. I told you that they were innocent but you still doubted them."

Half of my men tried to hold my arm as I resisted the urge to punch him straight in the face.

"Everyone leave me alone! Go do your jobs, this isn't a show"

I bellowed and soon sunk to the ground as a sobbed ripped out of me. Only some of them have left and I didn't care that I looked weak in front of my men, I needed to find my family.

"Everyone leave now. I'll stay here."

As the second highest ranked officer, everyone listened to John's command and left.

War app if his arm around me, John soothed consoling words and asked what had happened. I told him the truth from the beginning and received a punch in my jaw.

"She's like a sister to me the time she's been here and not for a second did I doubt her or Jamie. You're her life and you betrayed her. What were you thinking Dylan!"

"I was stupid and didn't want to be bias. If the others found out I was doubting their loyalty to their country but not the ones we randomly found here what would they think."

Nodding at that though, he helped me get up and directed me to the Jeep. I heard a bark behind me and noticed Max following us.

"We're going to find both Leah and Jamie and bring them back. Just have a bit of faith."

I nodded knowing I won't stop until I find them. I'll make her understand and beg for her forgiveness. She's been gone for a few hours and my world already seems to be falling apart.

That's when I knew I can't live without her. I'll need her to be my better half all my life. They both are my family and families stick together.