Chapter 44

Leah POV

Walking into this modern building, I stood there in awe of its architecture, considering that this is a company for building construction. Although the main colours consisted of grey shades, it somehow blended together.

Snapping out of this daze, I walked up to the secretary at the main desk, eager to deliver the parcel and going home after a long day of work.

"Hi, my name is Leah and I'm from Delight Desserts. I believe someone from this company ordered these cookies and cakes."

"Ahh, yes thank you. The CEO actually ordered them. Please hold on a second, while I confirm it."

Nodding my head, she dialed her phone as I heard her say some whispers. Deciding it's best not to eavesdrop, I looked around the bustling lobby.

"Hey Leah, sorry about that. The boss is on the thirtieth floor. You can grab the elevator on the right hallway and deliver this to his assistant."

"Oh, thank you."

I hesitantly walk into the elevator, pressing the top floor, before transporting upstairs in the metal box. Elevators have just been introduced and this is my first time going somewhere so up in the sky.

As I heard a ding and the goods part open, I walked up to the person sitting on the desk. Guessing that the young man is an assistant, I walk up to him.

"Hi, I'm from Delight Desserts and I have an order for the CEO."

"Hello to you too, the secretary just informed me. I'm Mr. Romano's assistant. I believe he's expecting you. Just walk down the hall towards a wooden door."

I expected the assistant to deliver these delights to him, considering the shy person he is to the public eye. Hearing that name, tugged my heart, but I ignored it as I walked towards those big wooden doors.

Knocking twice, I heard a grunt in approval, before I opened the door. I'm sure his secretary and assistant informed him of my arrival beforehand anyways.

I saw the same figure as I saw in the morning sitting on his desk. His long dark hair was covering his face, as he looked up towards my direction.

"Hi, I have your delivery from Delight Desserts."

I finally and hopefully said for the last time in the past five minutes, before he froze when I spoke. With his head down, he took out his hand and searched for something in his desk, before wearing his sunglasses.

Ignoring his odd behaviour, I walked towards him with the bag in my hand. He stood up and grabbed the bag, as our skins lightly touched and I stilled at the familiar sparks.

"How much is it?"

He said in a deep, but gentle voice. It was coated with a sense of familiarity which I wanted to explore, but knew would be my own demise. If my Dylan was alive, he would have returned to me, right?

"Leah? How much is it?"

I froze when I heard my name come out of his mouth. It held the same warmthness and love of my husband. Through his dark sunglasses, I tried to look into his eyes, but as if knowing my intentions he used his long hair to cover it.

"How do you know my name?"

"I- uh, my- my assistant informed me of your arrival and information. For security purposes that is."

I nod my head, despite a part of me knowing the man in front of me is lying. If Dylan was alive, why would he not come back. This is clearly someone else and I'm merely hallucinating from the lack of sleep. That has to be the only explanation for this.

"I'm sorry sir, I thought you were someone else. The total is ten dollars."

While he was getting the cash, I took a good look at him, trying to find any similarity. His figure was much more muscular than I remembered Dylan's to be, yet their height was similar.

His face structure seemed to be unknown with the beard covering his bottom half and sunglasses conversing the top half.

I saw him turning around and stopped staring, coming to the conclusion that I'm merely hallucinating. This man is clearly a stranger who happened to remind me of my deceased husband for some reason.

"Thank you, Mr. Romano."

His movements stilled for a moment, when he heard his last name, and despite not seeing his eyes, I felt connected to them. Deep inside me I knew that mysterious man is my husband who I thought was murdered years ago trying to save me.

"Please call me Lo-"

"Hey, Dylan. I found the files on accounting and-"

My suspicions were confirmed when I heard another familiar voice, uttering a very familiar name. My body went rigid when I heard the voice of the man that helped me support my daughter and brother through tough times; the man I considered a brother as he looked after me like a sister.

I turned around, tears filling my eyes at the betrayal that I felt in my heart. Time seemed to stop, when both men looked at me.

I didn't know what to do, how to react. Learning to cope with the death of my husband after years of suffering, I first thought of denying the truth.

"John, what are you doing here. Why are you calling this stranger Dylan?"

"Leah, please calm down. I wanted to tell the truth, but you have to understand I had to accept his wishes. Please listen to Dylan, he has a good reason.This is your husband and he is alive."

"I don't care what his reasons are. Dylan is dead. He's not alive. I'm a widow now, I don't have a husband. Stop calling this stranger my husband!"

"Leah, please. It's Dylan."

"If my husband was alive, as you are saying, then why did you let me suffer so long alone, without him, despite knowing you can ease my pain. I trusted you as my brother and you seemed to not care about my pain."

I saw his eyes fill with tears and I'm sure I looked like a mess with the non stop tears flowing down my face. His face was filled with sadness and guilt. As eager as I was to see the face of my so called husband, I had to deal with this betrayer first.

"Leah, I did this knowing it's best for you. Please listen to Dylan's explanation."

"John, leave."

I heard his voice again, that sense of authorization he had as a Sergeant during war. I wanted to turn around and hug him in relief of his survival and slap him for letting me suffer so long.

I felt his hand on my shoulder before I flinched away from his touch. Wiping my tears, I started walking towards the door, leaving this stranger.

"Leah, wait! Love please don't leave like this. Let me explain."

Just as I was about to open the door, my hand froze at his endearment. I didn't have the strength anymore and fell towards the ground, just to be captured by his strong arms.

Despite wanting to stay away from my husband, I missed his warmth and sobbed against his shoulder as I asked him the question that's been in my mind this whole time.

"Why, Dylan? Why did you leave me?"