Chapter 33

Dylan POV

The pain I felt in my head was unbearable, and I've walked away with a bullet in my arm. It felt like my skull was being cut in half, while someone was trying to behead me. All these flashes of images and voice entered me right before I blacked out.

I hear Leah pleading with me to keep breathing and then floating midair until I landed on a mattress. Those same tunes of the lullaby and the plush material of the bunny triggered something so powerful.

I woke up, squinting my eyes at the bright hospital lights. For a second I couldn't remember anything, until everything that had happened in my life flashed before my eyes.

I heard the sweet voice of my mother as I saw her loving face as well. She had dark long hair, pale yet bright skin, and the kindest green eyes.

I heard the hearty laugh of my father, with his dark brown almost black hair and brown eyes. His bushy eyebrows and scruff of a beard made him seem intimidating.

"Glad to see you're finally awake, Sarge."

"Oh, hey Doc. What happened?"

"I believe an incident caused you to have your memories triggered. Based on this information, you lost all your childhood memories. Am I right?"

"Yeah. It feels surreal, having all these memories back. Good and bad."

"I'm sure it's overwhelming and I have a pill incase all this affects your mental health. Your head pains shouldn't return, but if it does I want you to come here immediately."

Nodding my head in approval, the doctor begins asking questions of my pain and how I'm feeling at the moment. I half heartedly answered him, wanting to see my wife and younger brother.

I can confirm it now, the woman and man in the picture is both Jamie's and my parents. Deceased parents anyway. If I had come earlier or didn't lose my memory I could have saved them.

"Dylan?"

"Hmm?"

"As I was saying please take caution and for a week I can't let you leave camp unless it's an emergency."

"Alright. Can I see my family now?"

"I'll bring them in. Take care Dylan."

"Thank you."

Nodding his head he left. When he said my name, Dylan, it felt strange. My mother called me Lucas and I guess that's my birth name. Somehow I felt lucky I chose that as my middle name, but it still felt weird.

The door opens and my wife and younger brother come to my sight as she hugs me with all her might and rests the side of her head against my chest.

I carry her light body on the bed with me as I take a look at her. Her eyes are all red and swollen from crying and she looks so exhausted.

"Thank god you're ok."

"I'm glad too. I'm sure you would've brought me back from the dead to kill me again."

"Don't you ever joke about death. I thought something seriously wrong was going to happen to you

I feel her tears soak my shirt and I immediately feel guilty. She must have been through hell thinking of whether I'll be ok.

I know I would have gone crazy if anything remotely similar to this happened to her. Kissing the top of her head I apologize as she cries quietly down.

"Hey Jamie. Come here."

For the first time I see a timid boy replaced by the joyful one with guilt plastered on his face. For all this time I treated him as if he was my brother, but now he truly is. We both aren't orphans anymore and knowing we're family is something more special.