Chapter 20

Dylan POV

It's been a week since Leah and Jamie have left, but it feels like an eternity. There isn't a spare second where I don't search for them. Seeing my dilemma, some of my men help me find them in their spare time.

For the last month, I have grown accustomed to sleeping with Leah and now that she is gone I can't seem to sleep. Every night, I clung onto one of her dresses, but as the days go by her scent in the fabric gradually fades away.

It hurts me knowing that she preferred to go out there and risk getting injured again in the midst of war than staying here with me, despite receiving protection from my men. I must have hurt her so much and broke her trust if she felt that way.

Every morning I wake up to the sun, knowing she looks at it too and sleeps as the same moon provides both of us light, despite the darkness.

There are only a few towns she can be at, but the ruined buildings makes it hard to find her. We haven't gone to every nearby town yet, but as each day passes in vain, I slowly begin to lose hope.

At the moment, a few of my men and I are about to look into a nearby town, as  there have been frequent sightings of the terrorists.

Carrying our rifles, nearly five full Jeeps of men head out to each part of the town.

"Remember to keep your radio on at all times. Report any spotting or movements. Most importantly, don't wander off anywhere alone. Good luck and come back safe."

I say to my men as each Jeep goes its own way across the town. My group and I stumble upon many ruined buildings. Each crack and hole is a place where the terrorists can be hiding in surprise.

After nearly an hour of searching and finding nothing we decide to head back to our base‍. That's when I hear a noise and before I can warn anyone a bomb goes off.

We all fly into the air and land with a thud, luckily no one from my group seriously injured.

"Explosion report, item may be bomb. Group 1, minor injuries. Other groups report."

"Group two, one wound to the leg."

"Group three, two are unconscious"

"Group four, all are unharmed."

"Group five-"

Their report gets interrupted by several gunshots, heard from every radio.

"Shit, everyone get down on the floor. We're being ambushed."

We are prepared and trained for every situation, but the moment it happens in reality the outcome can be different.

Nearly all of my men seek shelter in a building, but the attacks have quieted down. I look to count my men, when I notice Alex, one of the first year soldiers standing still in the middle of the field in shock.

"Sarge, you can't go. It's too risky."

"I'm leaving no man behind."

With that, I run to him and we land safely in a ruined building, just as a bullet grazes my hip.

"Hey Alex, snap out of it. You're safe now. Come on boy!"

"Sarge, I'm sorry. That- I want not to be prepared. You're hurt. It's all my fault."

"Look calm down. I'm fine, it's just a graze. Stay alert, on the count of three I want you to run to the rest of our group. 1, 2, 3"

I saw him spring for his life, just as the gun fight quieted down. I was next to run, when the shooting spree continued again. I groaned partly in pain, but mostly in annoyance.