Chapter 22

Dylan POV

It's been a peaceful three months since Alex's death and the gun fight. With the help of Leah, I was finally able to let go of the guilt I felt and move on with my life.

At least it was as peaceful as it would be in the midst of war. There are the occasion bombing, gun fight, and wounds, but nothing catastrophic has happened yet.

As for Leah's and my relationship, it has been wonderful. There hasn't been a night we haven't slept together and we spend every spare second with each other.

I forget the ugly reality we live in, whenever I'm with her. Her smile, hugs, cuddles, and kisses makes me crave her even more.

At the moment , John, Kennedy, and I are trying to find out which of our men is the rat, or rats. Our commander, back in America, is trying to help us, but it's futile without his presence here.

Occasionally, Leah helps now that she knows this secret. I prefer her not finding out, as it will be a risk if the rat finds out. It's scary known that she is my weakness, but at the same time she's my strength.

"It's been too quiet for so long. We need to find the rat as soon as possible."

"I have a feeling something bad is going to happen. Like the calmness before the storm."

"How are we supposed to spot the rat when only is three know and there hundreds of men."

"Each day hours in vain trying to search for the fucking rat, when we could be doing something else."

I bang my hands angrily on the table. For three months, we invested most of our time on finding the rat to end up in a dead end each time.

"I can help with that."

The sweetest voice in the world interrupts. Leah comes over to me and gives me a peck on my check as her short body hugs my waist.

"Nope, absolutely not. How many times have I told you it's too risky."

"You guys are the top soldiers, and your men need you. You've spent too much time on this, instead of other things."

"Well it's our job."

"But I can help. You guys are lacking sleep and are working too hard. I have so much free time now that Jamie spends almost all his time with Max and the other dogs."

Her check puff up with jealousy.

"Are you jealous of dogs, mi amore?"

"He's a kid. Of course he's going to choose dogs over his overprotective older sister."

"I'm not that bad."

"You are practically his shadow."

The guys all laugh, including myself as she stomps her foot angrily like a toddler.

"Guys, we will continue this meeting another time. I think Leah here is a tad bit lonely."

She slaps my chest and angrily walks away as I follow her like a lost puppy.

"Stop following me."

"Stop running away from me."

"No."

"Young lady, you should say no to the commanding officer."

"Well I guess I did."

I couldn't get enough of her sass, before I lifted her tiny body with one arm and carried her over my shoulder.

"What are you doing Dylan? Let me go!"

"Nope."

She tries to wiggle out of my hold, as I hold her tighter and slap her bottom.