Chapter 47

Dylan POV

I buttoned the cuffs at the end of my shirt, nervous to see my daughter for the first time. I combed my hair back and tried to hide the scar with some powder, but it was futile, as it was still visible.

I remember walking into Leah's bakery and asking her for the answer to my question. I was ecstatic when my daughter was eager to meet me. That excitement soon turned into nervousness, not knowing how my daughter will react to meeting me.

I felt heartbroken when Jamie didn't want to see me, but I knew he clearly needed time. I remember he used to always run up and love spending time with me, but now he can't even stand my sight.

So far the relationship between Leah and I are mutual with a lot of tension and unsolved problems. I'll be more than lucky if she will ever be able to forgive me, let alone be my wife again.

I grabbed the doll near me as I examined it. I wonder how my daughter will look. Does she have my green eyes or Leah's brown one. Is her personality like her mother or myself?

I started my car before driving towards her apartment. The nervousness I had fled my system before I calmed myself through the happy moments of meeting Leah again.

I knew she lived in New York and that I had a daughter. I wanted to know more about them, but knew that I'd go back to them if I did. Driving to her address, I see a shabby neighbourhood, immediately regretting my decision.

What was I thinking? Being a single mother of a toddler and supporting a teenager, of course they weren't financially stable. John told me of the many times he tried to help them, but Leah refused. That sounds like my wife.

Parking my car, I grab the doll and a bouquet of roses before taking the stairs to her apartment. Looking around, I didn't want my wife, brother, and daughter living in such a place.

I took a deep breath in and out to calm myself down before knocking on the door. I knew there was no point in hiding my scar from my daughter, so I took my sunglasses offer, before tucking them in my suit pocket.

My gorgeous wife opened the door, wearing a knee length light blue dress. I nearly forgot about my purpose here before hearing a quiet gasp.

Looking down, I saw a little girl, no more than three years old hiding behind her mother's leg. She had my green eyes, but the rest of her features she took after her mother.

I gave the bouquet of roses to my Leah and leaned to kiss her check in greeting as she thanked me. The feeling I felt years ago, rushed back when I saw into her brown eyes.

Crouching down I brought the doll from behind me and gave it to my daughter. Saying that felt surreal, that I was a father. She saw the figurine and grabbed it hesitantly as I smiled at her.

"What do you say, Miracle?"

"Thank-thank you."

"Your welcome."

"Come in, Dylan."

I walked in looking around the small living room, with Leah and Miracle by my side.

"Your home is beautiful. Th-that painting."

I froze when I saw the same painting , portraying my family. There was also a more recent picture of my wife, daughter, and brother.

"Is that Jamie?"

"Yes, he grows up looking more like you each day."

"He looks so much like dad."

I heard a hum in response before looking down at my daughter. She obviously took after her mother's shy personality, with her hiding behind her mom's leg. Or is it the horrifying scar etched in my face that seems to scare her.