Not Close Enough

The idea of it disgusts and bores me, but sometimes I'm glad that love still exists.

I admit, you were smart, S.D. Being able to figure out my secrets while leaving the impression that you weren't all that bright.

Even the highly educated Barracuda doesn't know anything yet. Not even a single suspicion, although she's more than capable of figuring it out by herself.

Why hasn't she found out yet? Well, the answer is unlike you, her loyalties are to me.

You're sharp and intelligent, S.D, but truly, you are a fool.

You really, really should have told Barracuda and Lycanthropy the truth while you still could.

You really, really should have gone to the Guardian's side immediately.

You really, really shouldn't have put your little angel so highly.

What's a single life to the fate of the world? Selfish, how selfish. Such is the mindset of someone idiotic enough to fall in love.

If you didn't, maybe you'd still be standing here. If you didn't, maybe there might still be a ray of hope in the world.

I'm glad that love still exists, because it can turn the most dangerous of enemies, most wise of scholars and most stoic of soldiers into blind, snivelling fools.

You had so much potential, all wasted. It almost makes me sad. Potential to be a threat, to be a weapon, to be the wild card that can turn the tides of the battle.

But no. Instead you decided to be a fool.

...

...

That makes me wonder...

If you were capable of breaking free of my control and diverging against me, what are the chances that Barracuda and Lycanthropy can do the same?

You might have been a fool but Barracuda and Lycanthropy are not. Unlike you, they have nothing to lose.

What are the chances that one of the many, thousands upon thousands of normal corrupted minions might rebel?

The last thing I want is a rebellion. Especially if it's my two strongest soldiers. The remaining pieces of the Tree of Life are too valuable to me.

...

I'm going to have to watch them closely now. The moment they show any sign of deviance- I will kill them like I killed you.

————————————————

1135 hours, Industry

"Six..."

"Seven..."

"Eight- Wait, hold up, I'm not quite sure about that one so lemme think for a second-"

"Yup, it counts, I saw you."

"Oh, okay, so eight."

"Nine..."

"Ten..."

"Eleven-"

"Wait, what do you mean eleven?"

"Remember the second to last part?"

"...Oh yeah that part..."

"In that case, twelve."