4: Ten Minutes With Mom

"I will kill all of you shameless bastards! Hiding in your own cars, with the air-conditioners. Staying in your cars, while letting us suffer! Huh!"

The loud, low thump on her car door was accompanied by an angry inarticulate yelling from the side of the road. Scared by the black shadow, Lin Sanjiu lost control of her car for a moment. She hurriedly stepped on the brake. The car let out a horrible sounding, sharp screech, fortunately coming to a stop before she hit the guardrails at the side of the road.

She turned to look behind and saw a man in a sleeveless shirt. He was sweating profusely and was now throwing bricks crazily at the red Mazda. As he threw the bricks, he scolded, "You, You are all trash... Come out here... Come out..." Before he could finish his sentence, he fell backward and fainted. Clearly, she was caught in a crossfire just now.

She exhaled deeply and turned her gaze away from her rear mirror. She could still feel some trepidation. An insane irritability, comas, hallucinations. These were all symptoms of dehydration due to the high temperature...

She took another deep breath, hit the accelerator, and sped toward Zhu Mei's residential complex.

She had been to Zhu Mei's apartment multiple times before. After twenty minutes, Lin Sanjiu parked the car carefully and turned off the engine after her headlight shined on the "Maplewood Residential Complex" sign. She took the key, carried her backpack, switched on the flashlight on her phone, and headed towards the metal door at the entrance of the complex.

The location of the residential complex was a little remote, so usually, there were very few people nearby. Under such circumstances, it was now as quiet as a ghost town. Strangely, when Lin Sanjiu was reaching the large metal door, she felt her heartbeat stop for a second. She paused.

She scanned her surroundings and found nothing odd. She waited cautiously for another two minutes. Noting that nothing changed, she breathed a sigh of relief.

It seems that her Keen Senses was not a hundred percent accurate.

Maplewood Residential Complex was filled with apartment buildings that were built in the 1990s. Like all old complexes, there was a guardhouse at its entrance. As the area was not very safe, the metal gate would be locked after 12 am. In the event that one of the residents returned late, they could knock on the metal gate, and the security guard on duty that day would bring the key to open the gate for them.

She looked at her watch. It was exactly 2:30 am. Lin Sanjiu stepped forward and knocked on the locked metal gate. The heavy brass lock hit against the metal gate noisily — the ear-piercing noise only dissipated after a while. However, the surroundings remained quiet, without a hint that anyone was nearby.

"Mr. Security Guard, are you there? I am visiting someone from Apartment 2. Could you please open the gate?" Her bright voice traveled over some distance in the dark, silent night. Regardless of how hopeful Lin Sanjiu sounded, there still wasn't a response from the guardhouse.

She sighed. This was to be expected. She started to have a headache when she looked at the row of anti-climbing spikes above the gate. The residential complex may be old, but that metal gate was newly installed. It was so sturdy that it was hopeless to get past it.

Lin Sanjiu hesitated for a while before placing her hand on the metal gate.

"Store this!"

Just as she said that, her palm shined with a bright light. This time, however, the white light seemed to glow rather feebly. It flashed across her palm a few times, but the metal gate remained in place. This was the first time Lin Sanjiu tried transforming something this big and heavy. She could feel her heartbeat gradually beating faster, she was getting breathless, and her muscles were starting to ache...