18: A Happy Blessing For Lin Sanjiu

The three of them did not say a single word. They stood up silently as they raised their guard. Kong Yun's question echoed softly through the spacious supermarket, and before it faded, there was another furious knock. This time, she even raised her voice, "Come here and open the door! I know you all are in there! That rice, didn't you get that from here? Open up!"

That's right—she lived nearby, so she probably shopped here frequently. That's why she was able to recognize the source of that sack of imported rice. Before the three of them could think of what to reply to her, her shouting unexpectedly roused Wang Sisi, who was in the staff room. After an ear-piercing hiss, bangs resonated in the air as she slammed herself violently against the door. Lin Sanjiu, unable to tolerate it any longer, suddenly walked towards the metal shutter.

Somehow, Wang Sisi's voice seemed to have startled Kong Yun. There were a few seconds of silence outside the metal shutter. After waiting for a while, Lin Sanjiu restrained her anger and asked, "What the hell do you want?"

"Are you the girl from upstairs?" Kong Yun shot back.

"Why did you follow us here? What do you want?" Lin Sanjiu shouted loudly. "Do you think I will just obediently let myself be absorbed by you, just like your husband?"

Kong Yun, who stood at the other side of the shutter, fell silent for a moment. After her pause, her faint voice finally traveled through the metal shutter, "I actually just want to talk. Honestly, I have to thank you."

Lin Sanjiu bit her lip without saying a word.

"If you had not enlightened me, I would have just continued waiting. Without anyone around for me to absorb, I would die in the end. On the other hand... I really hate you." Kong Yun sounded unstable, the volume of her voice fluctuated greatly; it was difficult to listen to her. "My hope was ripped away from me by a young woman like you who knows nothing... I am suffering, really. Who are you to tell me that I killed him? I can't stand it! I...I really want to kill you so that I can feel a little better."

Lin Sanjiu was stunned. She could not help taking half a step back. Even though there was a metal shutter between them, she could almost smell the abnormal aura of insanity in the air.

Kong Yun, on the side, began to speak again, "Forget it. You wouldn't understand... It doesn't make a difference whether you open the shutter or not. If you don't open the shutter, I will just talk to you... If you open it, I will turn your bones into juice and drink it."

Lin Sanjiu was so affected that her face turned white. Just as she was about to open her mouth, Kong Yun continued as if she knew that the person on the other side was about to respond, "Listen carefully, I will only say this once. I can only use my ability once per hour. For me, a living organism is more beneficial than a dead one. And a human being is, by far, more beneficial for me than any other living creature. While I am absorbing, my... prey and I must not move in those ten minutes. Whether it is of my own volition or force, if I move, all my efforts will be wasted. I will have to wait for the next hour to start absorbing again. But now, at my initial stage, I need to absorb a large amount, so I can't risk a situation of not absorbing anything for a few hours..."

'From this perspective, it means that Kong Yun was only trying to drag time after she ate the chicken porridge...'

"Oh!" Marcie suddenly exclaimed, realizing something. "That's why you didn't lay a hand on us before. It's not that you didn't want to, but that you didn't have the chance to! If we realized that something was wrong, you would have exposed yourself and wasted another hour!"

Once she said this, Luther softly but clearly swore a string of vulgarities.

"That's right."

Although Lin Sanjiu couldn't see Kong Yun's face, she could somehow tell that she was smiling now.