95: The Truth Behind the Beret Men

Lin Sanjiu placed her hand on her chest, trying to calm her violently thumping heart. Next, she rocked Hai Tianqing a few times, carefully avoiding his skin. The latter opened his eyes hazily. After spending the entire morning working together with his companions to empty ten tons of goods, even someone as strong as Hai Tianqing had long fallen asleep due to exhaustion.

"Huh? What's wrong?" he asked quietly as he rubbed his tired eyes.

Under the dim lighting in the container, he could see Lin Sanjiu's amber cat-like eyes shining.

"I know what those Beret Men are," she said, her voice was a little shaky.

Hai Tianqing sat up immediately. At that moment, there were already close to 100 posthumans in the container...

Throughout the short morning, they constantly heard footsteps outside the shipping container, and each time the door opened, a few people with panicked faces would be pushed into the container by the Beret Men, becoming new members in this group of prisoners. As the number of people grew, the prisoners couldn't help feeling anxious.

'What are those Beret Men and their colleagues planning? Why would they need to capture so many people?' This was the thought that bothered them.

When the container was almost full, one of the Beret Man slammed the door shut. He secured the door with a metal chain and locked it from the outside. Considering that the prisoners were all posthumans, the metal chain was just for display. What the "prisoners" feared was what they could see through the gaps in the container: the Beret Men with their weapons. With the middle-aged white collar worker and his broken limbs serving as a clear warning to all, the newcomers did not dare to act recklessly. For them to survive till today, all of them had to have gone through some life-threatening experiences. Seeing that the weird people did not have any intention to kill, all of them decided to rest to preserve their stamina after a short discussion.

As Lin Sanjiu and her companions were still wary of the [Versu Poison] in their bodies, they sat far apart. Worried that she might accidentally come in contact with someone while she was asleep, Lin Sanjiu chose to rest in a space near the door where there was no one. The sunlight seeped through a gap in the door and cast its rays on her. It was uncomfortably warm and bright, thus no one wanted to go near that space.

After sleeping drowsily for a while, she suddenly heard footsteps outside. They sounded different from what they heard in the morning. The rustling footsteps sounded like troops of people, probably small-statured, approaching from a distance. Their feet had to be very small, as they sounded like a colony of giant rats scurrying.

Lin Sanjiu struggled for a few minutes to force her eyes open, and when she peeked through the gap in the door, she was shocked.

Then, she rushed over to Hai Tianqing to wake him up.

###

"Wake Hu Changzai, I'll wake B. Rabbit. We'll meet at the door." Lin Sanjiu ordered without explaining herself properly. She carefully avoided the disorderly groups of people lying on the ground and ran to where B. Rabbit was. Hai Tianqing got up and woke Hu Changzai before they all met up at the door as agreed.

There was a spot of light where Lin Sanjiu previously slept. Hu Changzai walked into this spot of sunlight, bent, and peeked through the gap. As the group approaching them was very large, there were still "people" trailing behind. The four of them watched the scene unfold before them.

They saw a group of very short women whose heights didn't even reach a meter. Their heads were disproportionately large compared to their bodies, and they also appeared to be of mixed-heritage. They all had pale blonde hair, blue eyes, and were beautiful in an unfathomable way. B. Rabbit wiggled his ears and looked at Lin Sanjiu with a puzzled face. "Aren't these just a group of dwarves from overseas? What does this have to do with what those Beret Men are?"