15: Kong Yun

The three of them jumped almost immediately after they heard the sound.

Without even half a second's wait, Lin Sanjiu turned her palm and held the chef's knife as she asked sternly, "Who's there?"

Her cold tone resonated in the darkness.

"Ah... don't be nervous. It's me. It's Kong Yun from downstairs," came a reply from the dark corridor in front of the nanny's room. Kong Yun sounded a little tired, yet gratified. "Oh, how wonderful. You guys have flashlights," she said and walked toward them without waiting to be invited into the apartment.

Flashlight? Where...?

The three of them immediately realized what Kong Yun was talking about and silently cursed. The Ability Polishing Agent was too bright, so much so that even Kong Yun could see the light it emitted all the way from the emergency door. At this point, they could hear Kong Yun's slow footsteps approaching. In a moment of anxiousness, Marcie kicked the Ability Polishing Agent toward the sofa. Just before the little bottle hit the sofa, it disappeared into countless fragments of light and integrated itself into the sofa. The living room suddenly became dark.

"Huh? Why did you switch off the flashlight? I can't see a thing..." Kong Yun commented, sounding rather dissatisfied.

Lin Sanjiu knit her brow slightly. She had a sudden inspiration and quickly replied, "That was my phone. It just ran out of battery... Mrs. Kong, didn't we ask you to wait for us in your apartment? Why did you come up?" After a pause, she surfaced her doubts, "So, how did you know that I live here?"

Taking the opportunity while they talked, she placed her hand on the leg of the corpse. There was a brief white light before the floor became empty.

Just as she stuffed the card into her hand, Kong Yun made her way to the living room, groping in the dark. The very moment she stepped into the living room, Luther lit up his lighter. Under the orange-red glow, Kong Yun looked somewhat pathetic. Her face and body were covered in sweat, and strands of her hair were pasted to her forehead.

Feeling their gazes, she gave Lin Sanjiu an embarrassed chuckle. "The security guard told me once that you and your boyfriend were the owners of the top floor. Your apartment is situated way too high. I feel so tired after climbing up from the 26th floor..."

Even though she had already evolved, it wasn't really surprising. Without the strength enhancement, not everyone had a physique as good as Lin Sanjiu's.

Right after Lin Sanjiu placed the knife down, her heart still pining to look at the paper on the floor, she forced a smile, "Mrs. Kong, why did you come up?"

"No real reason." Kong Yun looked a little hard-pressed. "I was alone in my apartment, and my husband is still missing. I just felt frightened..."

This wasn't something incomprehensible. The three of them looked at each other, and Luther suddenly gave Kong Yun a grin, showing his set of white teeth. "Mrs. Kong, it's great that you're here. It saved us the trouble of going downstairs to get you. You see, we brought some rice here so that we could cook a bit of porridge... Do you want to eat some?"

Lin Sanjiu silently clapped in her heart—that was a brilliant excuse! Otherwise, the sight of them standing idly in the middle of the living room did feel rather unnatural.

Kong Yun was visibly distracted as she looked at the sack of rice. She then began to laugh, "Why not? Although that rice is not suitable for making porridge, it's a good idea. You all should rest, let me cook."

"Okay, let me help." Marcie carried the sack of rice and headed to the kitchen.

Kong Yun couldn't help being curious about Marcie. She quickly followed behind her, saying, "You have a distinct accent, where are you from?"