14: Corpse Looting

"Say, what was that with Kong Yun just now?" Lin Sanjiu asked, full of suspicion. Her light footsteps followed her voice as she climbed up the stairs. "When I offered her something to drink, why did she make that expression?"

"Who knows?" Luther looked at the items he was carrying. "Maybe she kept cartons of water in her apartment and was afraid that we would snatch them from her if we found out."

This was not implausible. Lin Sanjiu tried to recall if she had seen Kong Yun before, but she truly had no impression of her. She fell silent for a few seconds, listening to their soft footsteps that filled the stairway.

"Anyway, we have to be careful when we visit her later," Marcie concluded.

They continued their conversation and made a turn. Finally, they saw the large number "38". "We're here." Lin Sanjiu stood at the stairway exit. She inhaled lightly and pulled open the unlocked door. She took a step into the apartment.

The door to the emergency stairway was beside the nanny's room, which opened to a corridor leading to the living room. As they walked into the living room, Luther scanned the room and was the first one to exclaim, "Xiao Jiu, what was your job in the past? This apartment is huge! Oh, you even have a personal lift in your living room!"

Lin Sanjiu looked around the living room. It was still the same. The exquisite, refined parquet flooring was covered with shattered glass, the sofa was askew, and the floor was a mess. Even that boning knife that she had used to kill Ren Nan was still lying at the same spot. Apparently, no one came here after she left.

"This is not my house," she replied blandly and kicked the shattered glass to a side. "Ren Nan tricked me into coming here. This is not his either. He ate the original owner, settled here, and took over the place."

When she mentioned this, she was surprised to find that she was rather calm. Seeing Lin Sanjiu enter the bedroom as she explained, Luther threw himself onto the sofa. He immediately sank into that spacious, soft sofa. He gave a sigh of satisfaction, "Woah... This is really comfortable. This is much better than those towels at the supermarket... Why don't we sleep here for tonight?"

Marcie jeered.

Lin Sanjiu smiled slightly when she heard the conversation outside. She grabbed her pajama pants from the bed and dug into the pocket. As expected, she found the [Ren Nan's Corpse] card.

Looking at the crayon drawing on the card while being in the creepily familiar room, she couldn't help remembering that snow white face she saw every night. She shivered for a moment and quickly put away the card.

With a little shake, salt could find its way down from the clothes she was currently wearing. She should have changed out of them long ago. Lin Sanjiu was unable to imagine how much she sweat over the day. As she changed into a new set of clothes, she felt speechless. She got out two duffel bags and stuffed them with some clothes and shoes suited for workouts.

After she had packed her bag, she came out and saw that the other two were in the kitchen. The packet of rice was opened, but Luther was trying hard to stop Marcie from cooking. "Marcie, it was difficult for us to bring that water and rice up here... No, I'm not implying that your cooking tastes bad. Mainly, well mainly, porridge is too simple a dish for you. It is not worth your vast expertise in cooking..."

Lin Sanjiu laughed softly. The faint feeling of coldness in her heart faded.

Hearing her voice, Luther quickly said, "Oh, Xiao Jiu is here. Let's look at the dead body before we discuss food. Okay?" Marcie's face darkened. "Cling!" She left the pot behind as she walked into the living.

"Her cooking sucks." Luther took the opportunity and gestured behind her back. He mouthed the words to Lin Sanjiu, "Don't let her cook! Please!"

Lin Sanjiu turns to one side, unable to hold back her laughter. She cleared her throat and asked, "Should I place him here?"