Chapter 21

Five months later, it was November and it was thanksgiving.

"Do you like this shirt", Lamar asked.

Amiyah was sitting on his bed looking at one of the books from his bookshelf. She looked up at him after he asked the question.

"Lamar for the fourth time, I like it. I liked the first one you had on, the second and the third", Amiyah said. "You are nervous for nothing"

"I'm meeting your family", Lamar said.

"Yes, but they are welcoming people so it's nothing to worry about", Amiyah said. "My aunt is the coolest, trust me"

"...what about your dad?", he asked.

"He's in jail Lamar. He won't be there", Amiyah said.

"I know, I mean like when will I meet him", Lamar asked. "Are you not talking to him still?"

"Yes. Every now and then", Amiyah said.

"I still don't think you should teach him that way", Lamar said.

"He lied about my mother", Amiyah said. "He was selfish. Yes, I still talk to him because I love him and he's my dad and I don't have the heart to ignore him, but he lied to me"

"Yet, you still haven't even talked to your mom", Lamar said.

"...because another part of feels like he was lying for her", Amiyah said. "She's out here and he's in there so he probably feels like it was the best idea to do"

Lamar didn't say anything. He  just put his watch on.

"...you can meet him when he tells me the truth or when I feel like he deserves to have some say so in my life", Amiyah said.

"Or maybe you're just using excuses", Lamar said.

"No I'm not", Amiyah said.

Lamar sat down next to her to put his shoes on.

"I get your nervous and what know but don't sit here and think that I'm hiding you. I wouldn't be introducing you to my aunt, uncle, cousins and grandmother", Amiyah said.

"Amiyah, I'm done with the conversation", Lamar said as he stood up.

Amiyah got quiet as she looked at him.

"Let's go to your family's house first then we're stop by my parents' house", Lamar said. "Come on"

Lamar walked out the room and Amiyah got up from the bed and put the book back on the bookshelf. They left and arrived to her aunt's house.

Amiyah has a key so she unlocked the door herself and walked in with Lamar. Her aunt was going out of the kitchen because she heard Amiyah opening the door.

"Hey, Auntie", Amiyah said.

"Hey, babydoll", her aunt said as she walked to her and hugged her tight. "You went ghost on me"

Amiyah pulled away and looked at her. "I've been calling", Amiyah said.

Her aunt smiled. "Yea I know but it's good to see you too", she said.

"Sorry", Amiyah said.

"It's okay. I know you're busy miss lawyer", her aunt said before looking at Lamar. "And who's this?"

"Auntie, this is Lamar, my boyfriend. Lamar, this is my aunt", Amiyah said.

"Nice to meet you", Lamar said with his hand out.

"Nice to meet you too", her aunt said as she shook his hand.

Everybody else was in the backyard hanging out.