+ A new year begins +

The Velvet Café reopened a week after the new year has begun. Everyone was back to working hard.

"We got two orders of pancakes." Childe informed (Y/n) and Xiangling in the kitchen.

"Got it!" Xiangling responded.

During the short holiday, the chef's apprentice, besides spending time with her boyfriend has practiced cooking and baking to improve the quality of the things she served.

She even started thinking of entering culinary school and becoming a chef. But she worried financially since she didn't have her parents to support her. And she already dropped out of senior high not long after being kicked out.

Her parents would have been notified, but they never came around to contact the girl herself. She wondered if they really didn't give a damn anymore. Not like it bothered her too much. They didn't have many good memories to begin with.

(Y/n) ended up preoccupied in her thoughts while gathering the ingredients for the pancakes.

"Is something bothering you?" The younger female asked.

"Oh uh nope, just remembered something!" (Y/n) picked up her pace and placed everything on the table for Xiangling. "I'm going to head to the comfort room for a bit."

"Sure."

Perhaps she felt as if there was something foreboding due to the passing of time. She knows she won't be able to live like this forever.

"It's been a while since we gone out like this dear." A lady chuckles. The voice far too familiar to (y/n).

"It has. Ah we're growing old aren't we?"

"My parents..." (Y/n) stopped in her tracks and listened to their conversation. Which evidently wasn't much more than small talk.

They didn't notice her presence, from the table they occupied they wouldn't see her at all.

She took a few steps backwards, her hands trembling. What would they do if they found out she dropped out to work at a café?

"(Y/n), standing over there all day isn't going to do you any good." Xiangling said while mixing the pancake batter. "If you really aren't ok you can take a rest."

"No I think I'm fine with helping you here." The girl turned her back on the kitchen's exit and tried to brush away the image of her angered parents in her head.

Alas, another conflict arises. (Y/n) will need to make amends with her parents one way or another. And when she does it might be the end of her days as an employee in the Velvet Café.

+ A new year begins +