Chapter 20: Racism

(A/N. Happy new years! What is everyone's new years resolution?)

I've been living at Cams for about a week and I like it here. I can tell his parents dont know how to react around me, but they are civil so I take it.

I am on depressants and have to go to therapy twice a week. Alot of fun. Me and Cam have become close though, so that's a plus.

"Hey," darnell said with a smile seeing me back at school.

This is my first day back since I ODed. I just hope diego hasn't talked about any of it. When I was high I slept with deigo. Alot. And before that week I was a virgin.

"Hi," I said smiling.

"How you feeling?" He asked me.

"Good. I'm glad to be back. I'm way behind on work," I laughed.

"So. Are we ever gonna talk about the hospital. You said you loved me," he told me.

"I do. I do darnell, I just dont think I'm mentally ready for a relationship, " I told him.

And I'm guilty about diego. I know everyone says you virginity is just a fake purity thing and shouldn't be a big deal, but it sucks that I lost mine and dont remember.

"I understand. Just know ace," he said grabbing my hands,"I am going to wait for you."

"I dont know how long you will have to wait," I told him honestly.

"You are the type of girl I'd wait forever for," he said and kissed my cheek.

Once he walked away cam came up to me,"yall together?"

"Not yet."

"Damn it. I lost the bet with jordan. I said yall be togther by first period," cam Said making me laugh and shake my head.

"I'm going to class dumb ass."

"Alright."

Time skip - after school (band)

"I'm sorry I missed solo competitions," I told the directer,"and school the week before. I had some personal issues."

"Its okay. You wont be able to compete this season though for solos. Diego has already talked to me, and he wants you to have the snare parts for our concert pieces," the directer told me.

"Thank you," I said with a smile.

I Walked back and saw diego wouldnt meet my eyes. The directer started yelling at the clarinets giving me time to talk to him. It's not like the director pays attention to percussion anyway.

"Diego. Nothing that happened was your fault," I told him.

"Its all my fault. You almost died Ace. That was my fault," he told me.

"You didnt shove those pills down my throat. I chose to smoke. I chose to buy the pills. I chose to try to kill myself. Not you," I told him.

He just offered me a weak smile and handed over the drumsticks. I took them and started to flip them. We played back attention to the directer and I noticed diego relaxing a little.

"And I wont ever say what happened between us to anyone. It's up to you if you tell anyone," he whispered.

"Thank you."

Once band was over I walked home with Darnell, who lives in my exes house. Not awkward at all.

"Ace, we need your help," my brother said at I walked in.

"With?"

"Selling tickets for coops concert," he told me.

"Ight. You coming, pretty boy?" I asked Darnell.