Chapter 23: the short life of Deigo Hargroves

(A/N question of the day. What is yalls Favorite scene that ive written in this book?)
Diego's pov (10 years prior)

"Dadda. Where you going?" I babbled.

Tomorrow was my sixth birthday. I wonder if daddy was going to get my gift.

"I'm heading to the store. Want anything?" My daddy asked me.

"Toke," I said, struggling with the C.

"I'll bring you back a Coke. Head to your room, I'll bring it in when I get back," he told me.

I waited in my room for a long time. Eventually I fell asleep. When I woke ho o the next morning I still didnt have a coke. I walked out to see my mom distraught.

"Mommy. Wheres dada. He was supposed to get me a toke?" I asked her.

"He left. He left me diego," she whispered,"he left you. What did you say to him last night."

"I just wanted a toke mommy," I told her.

"That must have been it. I must have. How could you! You could you make it him leave!" My mom asked sobbing.

"I made dadda leave?" I asked sadly.

"Yes. It's all your fault!"

And she stood by it.

Time skip - 1 year later

I rolled out of bed to make me some eggs. My mom has been spacing out so I've had to start taking care of myself. When I walked I saw her sitting at the counter top, holding somethings.

"Your up early. Want any breakfast?" I asked her.

I've matured alot the past year. I had to.

"No I'm good. I just wanted to give you something. Think of it as an early birthday gift," she handed me a bottle of black liquid.

"Why are you giving me a coke?" I asked confused.

"Becuase when you asked for this a year ago my husband left me. I just thought it was finally time you got one," she told me and left the kitchen.

Once she was gone I threw the bottle angrily. I wasn't my fault my dad left. It couldnt be. Not becuase of a coke.

What I didnt know was that every year that my dad left there would be a coke on the counter. I guess it's why I wont drink coke.

Time skip - 9 years later

Lifes been hell. My mom has been falling deeper and deeper into depression. She hates me. She never hits me though. It's all mental. Its the tenth year since my dad left without a phone call. My moms been taking it hard.

I woke up and saw ten cokes on the counter. I sighed at the waste of money. My mom lost her job so I've had to sell some drugs to keep us afloat.

"Mom. Your drunk you cant go to the store!" I yelled at her.

"I'm a grown ass woman. Dont tell me what to do," she growled.

"I'm supposed to do this. Loose my mind. Drink have daddy issues. I never could becuase I had to take care of you!"

"If you didnt make him leave you wouldnt have to!"

"It wasnt the damn coke. Mom, it wasnt my fault he left. It wasnt yours. It was his. Please quit doing this! I need a parent!" I begged her.

"I never loved you. It's all your fault diego. All your fault!" She ran out the door and slammed it shut.

She never came home. I found her the next day, dead in an ally. I called the cops and left. I didnt attend her funeral. Why should I? She never loved me.