Chapter 13 - FBI Vests, Again

A disheveled Reid slams the door in your face, "Brooke, Morgan, get -- get back! Get back! Get out of here!"

You're frozen in place as Morgan grips the handle, pushing, trying to force the door open, "What's wrong?"

"No don't!" Is Reid's shaky reply, his pleading eyes begging Morgan to stop trying to enter. Morgan looks over to you for assistance, for answers, still confused, unsure what's going on.

"Reid, open the door!"

"I'm sorry." Reid offers, locking the door before taking a step back, allowing Morgan to look into the room. And that's when Derek finally sees the smashed test tube, displaying a warning label, with a white powdery substance coating the floor.

As Morgan goes still, simultaneously you snap out of you shocked haze and reach for your phone, pressing the buttons with your trembling fingers.

Raising the phone to your ear, you listen anxiously, awaiting the line to pick up.

"Hotchner." The voice exclaims and you realise a shaky breath, basking in the small comfort of just hearing him speak.

"Hotch. I-we found Nichols' lab. Rei-Reid went in before the hazmat team had cleared the area. He's in there now, but the samp-samples, they were-" Faltering over your words you try to explain the situation without crumbling into tears.

"I'm on my way." Hotch declares, hanging up. You go back to Morgan, giving him and Reid the update, that Hotch would be here soon.

The sirens and tyres screeching alert you that they'd arrived. Leaving Reid to go meet him, you see Hotch exciting the SUV with General Whitworth and his Lieutenant.  

"Morgan, how's Reid?" Hotch asks immediately, skimming you briefly.

"There's white powder in the room and the air was blasting." Morgan states, elaborating on what you couldn't articulate on the phone.

"Get a decon team suited up. Secure a gray zone outside that door." The General instructs his Lieutenant as you fall in step with Hotch.

Goosebumps flush across your arm at the light caress of Hotch's fingers, brushing against the back of your hand. The action would appear innocent to anyone who had seen, but you knew that the gentle skimming of his hand was he silent way of checking you were okay.

Nodding, as if you were agreeing with the General's instructions, you confirmed that you were alright.

"I should have been right there with him." Morgan admits and you shake your head, you were in fact almost seconds away from being trapped in the room with Reid, so if anyone should have been there, it was you.

"Morgan, there's no time for second-guessing. What do we know?" Hotch asks, shutting Morgan down.

"Nichols is dead. Blunt force trauma to his head." You inform.