Chapter 22 - Calling Card

Surprisingly, you are starting to enjoy the work you're tasked with, and feel that you're actually contributing

Surprisingly, you are starting to enjoy the work you're tasked with, and feel that you're actually contributing. You've adjusted better to the way the team work and have started to get into the flow of things, seemingly making progress with those you are leading.

The nature of the operation means you're actively supporting the interrogation of informants and captured terrorists, analysing their behaviour and mannerisms through the surveillance cameras.

Members of the task force shadow you, in an adjacent tent that houses six different screens, showing multiple different angles in the highest quality.

You highlight certain aspects to them, informing them of certain behaviours to look out for. There's certain characteristics you detail to them, pointing distinctive behavioural tendencies that are common amongst terrorist organisations.

They soak in the information, asking many questions that you answer to the best of your ability.

"I thought profiling was just something made up for entertainment purposes. We've all watched Profiler." The team quietly laugh as one of the older members jests. You laugh along with him, not sensing any hostility from his comment, just a teasing tone.

"You're right, the term 'profiling' has caught on among the general public, largely due to movies like 'The Silence of the Lambs' and yes, TV shows like 'Profiler'. Sometimes the FBI calls what we do at the BAU a form of 'criminal investigative analysis'.

There are multiple names for this type of work. One prominent forensic psychologist calls his work 'investigative psychology' and another calls his 'crime action profiling'. Reid would probably inform you of many other names-" You chuckle, imagining him beside you, sprouting of facts to the team in front of you.

They stare at you blankly, and you continue, "Reid's a member of the team at Quantico and evidently a genius, with multiple doctorates and bachelors degrees-" you pause, refocusing your thoughts to get back to the topic at hand, "I digress, but the point I'm trying to make is that, despite the different names, all of these tactics share a common goal: to help investigators examine evidence from crime scenes and victim and witness reports to develop an offender description."

The team look thoroughly intrigued as you continue, and you're glad to see that they are genuinely interesting in learning.

"As I've pointed out, and mentioned previously, the description can include psychological variables such as personality traits, psychopathologies and behavior patterns, as well as demographic variables such as age, race or geographic location. Investigators might use profiling to narrow down a field of suspects or, similar to what we're doing here, try to figure out how best to interrogate a suspect already in custody."

They all nod, asking questions and making notes when your provide them with answers. You find your confidence increasing throughout the sessions you spend with them, and in turn, watch their ability develop. It's pleasing, and equally as rewarding as you make head way, seemingly building a better picture of the ins and outs of the terrorist organisation.