Chapter 1 - Minimal Loss

You awake slightly startled, the vibrations from your phone pulling you out of your slumber

You awake slightly startled, the vibrations from your phone pulling you out of your slumber. You reach over and turn off the alarm, silencing the mobile.

You roll out of bed, stretch your limbs and clear your throat to rid the remnants of sleep. You recall the date, and realize today is your work anniversary. It'd been four years since you moved to the Behavioural Analysis Unit (BAU) after transferring from the Hostage Rescue Team (HRT) you'd been with for two years. You'd joined the HRT straight after graduating from Michigan State. You'd graduated with a PhD in Criminology and BA Honors in Sociology.

The BAU had quite a formidable reputation in the FBI's Training Division at Quantico. You'd been hoping that a position would become available within the unit, so when Gideon mentioned they were looking for another member for the team, you jumped at the opportunity.

You had first met Jason Gideon when he was giving a lecture at Quantico. He was discussing a profile he'd given to Virginia PD regarding an unsub known as the Footpath Killer. Although intended for trainees, you'd managed to negotiate your way into the lecture to listen to him speak. It was short lived when, who you now know was Dr. Spencer Reid, interrupted Gideon with a case, ending the lecture early.

You had emailed Gideon as soon as you returned to your desk at the office, intrigued and wanting to know more. Your relationship with Gideon began to build from there. Conversing with Gideon made it obviously apparent how much you wanted to join the BAU team.

Shaking your head to rid you of your thoughts, you head to the bathroom and turn on the shower. You can't help it as your mind wanders back to the day of your interview with the very serious and very professional Unit Chief SSA Aaron Hotchner. You remember Gideon had pre-warned you of Hotchner's stern exterior, so you had the advantage of knowing what to expect when going into your interview.

"Come in." Hotch had said as he reviewed a file at his desk.

You remember opening the door of his office and calmly telling yourself to get your nerves under control. You closed the door behind you and proceeded to take a seat in one of the two chairs in front of his desk.

"Agent Hotchner?" You said, outstretching your hand in his direction.

"Yes, and you must be Anastasia Brooke?" Hotch said while tightly gripping your hand in return.

"That's correct, pleased to meet you." You had returned as confidently as you possibly could. Although Gideon had given you the heads up, you'd not quite expected SSA Hotchner to be quite so intimidating.

You recollect on how Hotch had reached for your file and flicked through it.

"So how long have you been a part of the HRT?" He'd asked.

"Just a little over two years now. I applied straight after graduating." You'd replied.

"Michigan State?" He'd asked again. You'd nodded your head in reply.